Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Please help.. USB Hard Drive .. need to recover data

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    Please help.. USB Hard Drive .. need to recover data

    I'm new to knoppix and I need some help.

    My USB hard drive has been conecting to windows on and off lately after my daughter dropped it. Unfortunately now,I cannot connect it to backup my data. I snoozed and I think I lost. But if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

    With windowsXP all it does is power up but does not get recognized. It's a 160GB comstar ultraslim fujitsu hard drive I believe(dont think the model really matters). Both green and red lights come on then just the green. It spins up, and there is a bit of clicking at the start but it seems to run all except for windows recognizing it. Not sure if it's damaged but it has worked quite a bit after it was dropped. At one point I thought it might be the connection cable as when I moved it a little bit windows would recognize it however no matter how I move the cable now in the connection it does not get recognized. I did accidentally bump the drive and windows recognized it, which makes me think there's a mechanical problem but I don't want to have to take it apart (that'll be my last option). I'll try knoppix first.

    I have 60GB's of data I would love to get back.

    I've only had a look at knoppix to see what it is but haven't really used it. I have the knoppix 5.1 live cd.


    Coule someone PLEASE tell me how to (if possible) read the data off the drive and copy it back onto my internal drives. And will windows be able to read the copied data?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32
    Okay, might be the cable or the hard drive is almost on the fritz however I've fiddled with the cable and Windows recognized the drive so I quickly transfered all the data for backup.

    Luckily and hopefully it is just the cable. But thankfully I have been able to grab all of the data.

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to recover data from damaged hard drive
    By scoob19 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 05:12 AM
  2. help using knoppix 3.2 to retrieve data from hard drive
    By adamj in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
  3. Bad Linux Hard Drive - Wanna Use Knoopix to Recover Files
    By rossi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 03:42 PM
  4. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  5. help getting data off of a hard drive...
    By thebyrd in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$693.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00