Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 3.9 File Transfer to Flash Drive - Stalling

  1. #1

    Knoppix 3.9 File Transfer to Flash Drive - Stalling

    I am trying to recover my data to a USB flash drive stick. The following keeps occurring:
    1. The progress bar doesn't indicate real progress, ie; it says 18 files out of 19 files transferred, for example, and marks the completion rate at 63%
    2. When transferring folders containing files, the USB stick appears to copy the entirety of what is moved onto it, but this doesn't show up when it is inserted into my laptop.
    3. Knoppix has corrupted the USB drive once, I reformatted and restored from DOS
    4. I have (seemingly!) moved my image files off the disk and onto my stick, but (!) when I move 92Mb of images, for example, the USB registers all the files but at a total of 6.9 Mb space occupied when plugged into the laptop, and, furthermore, when I open the images, they are partially unfocused, infused with other photos, and mostly incomplete (20% of the photo visible).
    5. The file transfer runs its course for some time and moves to 'stalling' mode, although it doesn't hang.

    As seriously as I possibly can, I am earnestly asking for help. Before I learnt of this Linux-based OS earlier this afternoon, I was looking at spending another night in a series of sleepless ones that has lasted as long as I can remember - working like a maniac to restore my windows system32 config system corruption (its missing, can't be restored...how nice!)

    Please help me...I feel maddened to have come so far after no success for so long, only to be hampered at this stage!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix 3.9 File Transfer to Flash Drive - Stalling

    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmithbloke
    2. When transferring folders containing files, the USB stick appears to copy the entirety of what is moved onto it, but this doesn't show up when it is inserted into my laptop.
    3. Knoppix has corrupted the USB drive once, ...
    Do you know that it's extremely important in Linux to either unmount the USB drive before unplugging it, or shut down the Linux system (which will unmount the drive in the process)? It sounds like you are not doing this. Of course, it's important in Windows also (remember that little "Safely unmount removable drive" thing in your tray?). But it sounds to me like you may be skipping this.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    I am not that completely mentally challenged... Yes, I do know. I have done this and discovered that my pictures are in the corrupted format I described when viewed on my laptop.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmithbloke
    I am not that completely mentally challenged... Yes, I do know.....
    OK, it wasn't clear from your first post. This should be working, assuming that your flash drive is formatted with one of the FAT formats, not NTFS, and that it doesn't have some sort of "windows only" security feature.

    I don't know what the problem is. But my suggestion would be to recover the data that is important to you and worry about ths flash drive issue later. Have you considered networking the Knoppix system and your other computer and just transfering the files across the network? There are several ways to do this, but for me the easiest way is to install a simple FTP server on the other computer and then use Konquror in Knoppix as the FTP client to do the transfer.

    Good luck.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Copy File Transfer Speeds & Stalling [Recovery to USB HD
    By KnoppixNubster in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 02:44 AM
  2. Using Knoppix to transfer files to USB Drive
    By dariogi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 12:49 AM
  3. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  4. Minor Text File Problem, Transfer file in ASCII
    By bonkas in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
  5. Stalling when transferring large files to usb 2.0 drive
    By kjjaeger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00