Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Installing knoppix on hard drive.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1

    Installing knoppix on hard drive.

    I got this somewhat new motherboard(2.7GHz celeron). It was from a Dell computer. I used it to make a computer. I booted with knoppix(cd) and to my suprise everything worked fine so I decided to install it on my hard drive. After booting with it on my hd it would not let my go on the internet. When I tried to start the synaptic program manager it comes back with a su error. I used the sudo knoppix-installer to install it on my hard drive. Ubuntu will not even boot and windows xp requires drivers for the motherboard(no network, usb, sound, or decent video) and I do not know the model number of the computer the motherboard was taken out of and besides I would prefer to do this legally as I have already installed the windows xp on another computer. This is not the first computer that Ubuntu would not boot and knoppix would so maybe someone should give Ubuntu a hand or some software.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Installing knoppix on hard drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by RicktheBrick
    ... After booting with it on my hd it would not let my go on the internet. When I tried to start the synaptic ....
    Yup, the Internet connection issue has been there for 5 years It's just one of the reasons that many of us advise new users not to install Knoppix. Looks like this has finally been resolved in the newest Knoppix, in that they reportedly removed the permanently broken install scripts and now treat it as what it is, a Live CD, not an installable system.

    I don't use or care about Ubuntu. But if Knoppix works and you like Knoppix, why not try installing Debian, the Linux that Knoppix is based on and that is intended for hard disk install? I really don't understand why people keep fighting with problem prone broken Knoppix installs but don't even try a recent Debian install (I suggest trying a Net-install of the current Debian testing version (stable is too old and best reserved for servers).

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Knoppix 3.1 on a second hard drive
    By algebraic in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 10:28 PM
  2. Installing knoppix to hard drive
    By Torgo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
  3. Need help installing Knoppix 3.8.1 to hard drive please
    By linuxnewbie01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 03:55 AM
  4. installing knoppix on hard drive
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. Can i use knoppix of a hard drive.? Without Installing.
    By stupidkid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU picture

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU

$279.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor

$269.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99