Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Is it possible to have multiple X session on one machine

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Is it possible to have multiple X session on one machine

    Hi,

    In XP, it is now possible to login as one user and sort of 'switch' to another user with the previous desktop(and any running program) continue to be there(and running). Is this possible in X ? Sort of the same as the text based login console in linux but instead of Cltr-Altr-F1 switch to my previous login of text console, switch back to my previous launched X session.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    In KDE 3.1 is is. You have to enable an option in the KDE/KDM config
    Hmm it was in Ralf Nolden's README, but now thats gone.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Yes. I have enabled KDM and use it as the login manager. However, if I want to switch to another user, I have to logoff which would stop all running applications. KDE can restore the desktop in the next login but still it is a relaunch. What I want is like XP which is to continue the current desktop(throw it into background) and present me another foreground X session.

    edit: found the solution on google. one must not be lazy

    thanks for the help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Yes. I have enabled KDM and use it as the login manager. However, if I want to switch to another user, I have to logoff which would stop all running applications. KDE can restore the desktop in the next login but still it is a relaunch. What I want is like XP which is to continue the current desktop(throw it into background) and present me another foreground X session.
    Yes. As I said, KDE 3.1 can do it, and from memory you have to edit the KDM config file. However the instructions have since gone from Ralf Nolden's site and I don't know where else they are. You could try asking some KDE people, say on #debian-kde on irc.openprojects.net.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Yes. I have enabled KDM and use it as the login manager. However, if I want to switch to another user, I have to logoff which would stop all running applications. KDE can restore the desktop in the next login but still it is a relaunch. What I want is like XP which is to continue the current desktop(throw it into background) and present me another foreground X session.

    edit: found the solution on google. one must not be lazy

    thanks for the help.
    Please post your findings for this solution.

    Thank you in advance.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    You don't have to log out if you use kdm, gdm, or xdm, you can start a second X session from a console (ctrl-alt-f1).

    go to a new console, make sure you have a ~/.xinitrc file with a line that starts the de or wm you wish to use, here is one of mine, I edit it to start the de or wm I want:
    startkde
    #startxfce
    #exec icewm
    #exec fluxbox
    Then run: startx -- :1*******(startx space dash dash space colon one)

    Then ctrl-alt-f7 is your first X session and ctrl-alt-f8 is your second.

    If kdm, gdm or xdm is not configured to allow multiple logins, if you log out of your X session started by kdm, etc. you will be logged out of both X sessions.

    HTH

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. Restart Session
    By pixturesk in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 11:56 PM
  2. Multi session remaster??
    By Hunter in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 10:20 PM
  3. Adding new session type to kdm
    By sbkryan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:11 AM
  5. starting second x-server session...
    By roberto in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 04:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor picture

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i7-12700 12 Core X208K805 LGA 1700 AS IS picture

Intel Core i7-12700 12 Core X208K805 LGA 1700 AS IS

$99.99



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99