-
How-to install codecs for xine and mplayer video players
I have Knoppix 5.2 and was hoping to play some *.FLV (flash video files) I've downloaded and pulled from youtube & other sources.
The versions of MPLAYER & XINE will play the video but won't play the audio on these files. It was the same with knoppix 5.1.1 I was hoping the 5.2 version I just torrented (completely unannounced on http://www.distrowatch.com defaulted in the German keyboard style
(it took me awhile to discover that "(" key for the U.S. keyboard is '=' key when its rigged for Germans.) knoppix lang=us
would have the codecs pre-installed.
BUT SINCE they DON'T run the audio on these videos. Lucky for me found an interesting video:
How-to install codecs for xine and mplayer video players
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FOeBcWQDOKk&feature=related
It's all about people who have an ubuntu installation. But that's not what I want to do. I want to install the codecs for my knoppix persistent image file.
It reads;
1. goto http://www.mplayerhq.hu and go to download link
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
MPlayer v1.0rc2 source ?
2. save essential-LATESTVERSION.tar.bz2
download save essential-20071007.tar.bz2
(Linux x86 20071007 is my system by an educated guess)
3 Install bzip2
actually it seems I can extract with the Ark program. I don't get the point of the video where it shows him downloading the torrent file. He should show himself downloading and extracting
the bzip2 file with ark or something.
http://www.bzip.org/downloads.html
So now I have a folder I named "Winter"
/media/hdd1/home/ubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter/
I'm going to open a shell for
/media/hdd1/home/ubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter/
With the KDE GUI desktop. Rightclick on the folder Actions--->Open Terminal here Shelling it and typing "ls"
reveals these files
knoppix@Knoppix:/media/hdd1/home/ubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter$ ls
bzip2-1.0.4 essential-20071007.tar.bz2
bzip2-1.0.4.tar.gz
and so I'm ready to install bzip2
knoppix@Knoppix:/media/hdd1/home/ubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter/$ apt-cache show bzip2
And get similiar information text on my shell:
by typing
knoppix@Knoppix:/media/hdd1/home/ubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter/$sudo aptitude install bzip2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
NOW I'm cooking with gas;
All that was easy
[b]4. untar to /usr/local/lib/codecs
knoppix@Knoppix:/UNIONFS/usr/local/lib$ sudo mkdir codecs
knoppix@Knoppix:/UNIONFS/usr/local/lib$ ls
GNUstep codecs knoppix.jpg python2.1 python2.4 xemacs
R eclipse ocaml python2.3 site_ruby yorick
Anyways the video shows how to extract essential-20071007.tar.bz2 with a keyboard interface but I've already done this with the program ark as a graphical interface user:
knoppix@Knoppix:/media/hdd1/home/ubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter$ ls
bzip2-1.0.4 bzip2-1.0.4.tar.gz essential-20071007 essential-20071007.tar.bz2 essential-20071007.tar.bz2.torrent
Moving right along with the video instructions
knoppix@Knoppix:/media/hdd1/home/kubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter/es
sential-20071007$ls
AvidQTAVUICodec.qtx clrviddd.dll msscds32.ax vssh264.dll
BeHereiVideo.qtx cook.so nsrt2432.acm vssh264core.dll
CLRVIDDC.DLL drvc.so qpeg32.dll vssh264dec.dll
CtWbJpg.DLL dspr.so.6.0 qtmlClient.dll vsshdsd.dll
DECVW_32.DLL iac25_32.ax rt32dcmp.dll vsslight.dll
LCMW2.dll icmw_32.dll sipr.so.6.0 vsswlt.dll
LCODCCMW2E.dll ir41_32.dll tokf.so.6.0 wma9dmod.dll
QuickTime.qts ir50_32.dll tokr.so.6.0 wmadmod.dll
QuickTimeEssentials.qtx ivvideo.dll tvqdec.dll wmsdmod.dll
QuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx jp2avi.dll vdowave.drv wmspdmod.dll
README lhacm.acm vid_3ivX.xa wmv9dmod.dll
VDODEC32.dll lsvxdec.dll vivog723.acm wmvadvd.dll
ViVD2.dll m3jp2k32.dll voxmsdec.ax wmvdmod.dll
acelpdec.ax mi-sc4.acm vp4vfw.dll wnvwinx.dll
alf2cd.acm msh261.drv vp6vfw.dll wvc1dmod.dll
aslcodec_dshow.dll msms001.vwp vp7vfw.dll xanlib.dll
How do I add files to these folders knoppix@Knoppix:/UNIONFS/usr/local/lib/codecs$? Is it even possible? Do I need to do this/
/hdd1/home/ubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter/essential-20071007$ sudo mv *.* /usr/local/lib/codecs
knoppix@Knoppix:/media/hdd1/home/kubuntu1/Desktop/MYDOKUMENTS/SOFTWARE/Winter/essential-20071007$
Let's see if the frickin audio works.
IT DOESN'T.
Similar Threads
-
By guillaumecote in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-26-2005, 01:03 AM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 11-05-2004, 05:13 AM
-
By ExoduS in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 07:45 AM
-
By ignuu2 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-08-2003, 04:47 PM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 05:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99