Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Recovery of corrupt IDE HDD via USB converter

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC Australia
    Posts
    2

    Recovery of corrupt IDE HDD via USB converter

    Hi all, in the process of copying files from an old HDD via USB converter onto a new HDD the comp froze and I had to reboot. Now the old drive is corrupted and I was wondering if Knoppix would work in this situation? IE Would Knoppix recognize the IDE drive connected via a USB converter cable?
    I would think it would just treat it as a removable USB HDD because Windows does, but I don't want to waste time on this if it won't work.

    FYI I run XP SP2
    Q6600 2.4Ghz
    2Gb DDR2 @ 1066Mhz
    3870X2 1Gb
    GB x38-DS4 mobo

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    In general Knoppix will read an IDE drive on a USB adapter. But obviously there are times when Windows will muck up it's partition so bad that Knoppix can't read it either. It seems worth a try though.

    Be advised that while Knoppix might be able to read the drive on a USB adapter, it should not be used to try to write the files to another disk partition if that partition is formatted as NTFS. Alternatives include copying the files to a FAT partition, a Linux partition, or to read the files with Knoppix but transfer them to a Windows machine across a network (I like to install a FTP server on the windows box and use Konquror as the FTP client on the Knoppix box for this).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC Australia
    Posts
    2
    I was going to transfer the files from the old HDD onto a new HDD which is NTFS, should I not be doing that? And why not?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Writing to NTFS with Knoppix will corrupt the NTFS partition. Think of this as a little gift from Linux hating Microsoft. Sometimes people get away with it, but often not and all data is lost. I don't know the status of the newest Knoppix 5.3.1 in this area yet, but since I don't know that it's safe and I have the experience of the last five years, I don't trust it. I suggest following the advice of my previous post.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. AVI to SVCD converter
    By Jorge Martínez in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 02:52 AM
  2. wmv to avi converter
    By artmus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 05:27 AM
  3. USB<-->Serial converter cable using PL2303 chipset
    By scottknl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 10:25 PM
  4. Corrupt init?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:21 AM
  5. USB-RS232 Interface Converter & GPS
    By mgsimon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



QSFP-40/100-SRBD Cisco 100G and 40GBASE SR-BiDi QSFP Transceiver picture

QSFP-40/100-SRBD Cisco 100G and 40GBASE SR-BiDi QSFP Transceiver

$125.00



LOT OF 5 StarTech GLCTST Gigabit RJ45 Copper SFP Transceiver Module picture

LOT OF 5 StarTech GLCTST Gigabit RJ45 Copper SFP Transceiver Module

$52.50