-
Knoppix to Compact Flash (CF)
The plan:
I would like to write a script that will install an uncompressed Knoppix system to a CF or even a USB stick of about 4 - 8 Gig (these are quite cheap now). The reason comes down to speed; I need something that runs relatively quick and silent (read - No HD). I am not too sure how much faster an uncompressed version would run but I assume I'll get a bit more speed from it. Also, after it is installed, the automatic HW detection would no longer need to run as all HW drivers and configuration would be saved (installed) on to the CF.
I can not use a "standard" HD install as there are too many writes to the file system for a CF (/var/log, etc.) and there can be no swap file. The final product here is a remastered version of KnoppMyth, a MythTv version of Knoppix which is really cool.
My Questions:
1 - How do I get knoppix installed "uncompressed" but with the unionfs and RAMDisk still working?
2 - I would still like to be able to allocate a portion (partition) of the CF as the users "persistent" home directory.
3 - I would also like to have a script that will allow the use of apt-get or yum to install / update programs on the otherwise RO filesystem. How could I do this?
The "Other" Option:
One other option is to do a remote boot (PXE) of a standard Linux kernel and that actually works really well (and really cool) for a wired network interface but... If the box I am booting is using wireless, that will not work because the MB has no idea how to get to the network. The way around this might be to have a minimal Knoppix kernel on the CF. This kernel would only load up the wireless USB module then mount the rest of the file system over NFS to the "boot server".
If I went with this option I would want to understand how to use the local 1 Gig RAMDrive efficiently. It would obviously run the kernel but with the rest of the files system on the nework how could I use this as a cache?
Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Thanks,
TJ
Similar Threads
-
By Courage in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-12-2005, 12:48 PM
-
By monckywrench in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
-
By drews in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-30-2004, 05:20 PM
-
By diablo266 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-28-2004, 05:05 AM
-
By amontefusco in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY
$89.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

LOT OF 4 HP 840758-091 32GB DDR4 PC4-2666 Registered Server Memory 128GB Total
$1000.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro
$189.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original
$39.88