Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 5.3.1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 5.3.1

    Will there be a CD in addition to the DVD released for Knoppix 5.3.1?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104

    Re: Knoppix 5.3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by mpeterson
    Will there be a CD in addition to the DVD released for Knoppix 5.3.1?
    I certainly hope so, since most computers still come with CDROM drives and you must pay more in order to get a PC with a DVDROM or DVD-R drive.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    4

    Re: Knoppix 5.3.1

    I'm still not seeing the CD "Lite" version out there. Pardon me while I rant and rave a little bit:

    I *prefer* the CD version of Knoppix. What I have noticed about the other distros (that I used to install) was that I would download the 10 CD set (or 2 DVD set) to have the "complete" version of Linux, when all I needed was the general functionality of a distro. I have come to discover that most distros are bloated, nowadays, with way more software than anybody wants or needs.

    Knoppix migrating to DVD makes me feel that it is becoming "bloatware." I have always been happy with the software that comes with the CD version. It is more than enough to meet most of my needs. Apparently, it not only meets my needs. Shawn Powers notes in a recent issue of Linux Journal (September 2008, p19) that today's young people want the following from their computers: 1) a media player 2) a browser, and 3) an office suite. That's it. Everything else is bloat.

    The other reason I favor CD Knoppix over DVD Knoppix is that I have a dialup connection. I usually go down to work with a USB thumbdrive and download the CD version from there. I have plenty of 1GB and 2GB thumbdrives, but 4GB and 8GB drives are still kind of expensive.

    If the powers-that-be have not put out a CD version of 5.3.1 yet (I may just be looking in the wrong place), I hope they do so soon. I am still running the 5.1 CD, and am very pleased with it.

    INTENSITY

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99