-
Greetings to ye!
Hello, I'm just saying hello as a new forum member! Knoppix is going to be my first distribution of linux, and quite simply my first experience with it. I'm currently a Windows Vista (64-bit edition) user, and am just wondering what the major differences will be when I actually use knoppix (downloading now). What can I expect as a n00b to the use of Linux?
~Monsieur Chortles
-
Junior Member
registered user
I've been using Knoppix for almost a year now, though I'm not a sophisticated user by any means. I don't use it like so many seem to do: to rescue linux and/or windows systems. What I like best is that it's a read-only system. This is something that I don't see emphasized in the forums or any other literature. Once you burn it on a CD-R or DVD-R it can't be changed. As far as I'm aware it is immune to viruses, worms, or any other kind of nasty varmint. Every time I boot it comes up the same way. Hackers don't seem to bother with it anyway since it'sLinux. But even if they did, it boots every time from a read-only system, so what could they possibly do? I don't have to screw around with anti-virus software or anything like it. No subscription fees and constant updating of virus lists, etc, etc. From my point of view this is it's best feature. It's bulletproof. Of course it means it's not very easy to upgrade or install new features; but that's life: full of tradeoffs.
-
i'd like to use knoppix again after being away from it for almost 2 years... cant remember the last time i was here... mr gilles was very helpful esp. with the usb stuff... can't wait for the knoppix 5.3 on the cd(so i can put it on the usb thingy) :P
EDIT: ok, so i'm still in windoze trying to figure out how in the world to get at least eth0 to work on my laptop... i booted off with usb key and it runs very fast... i haven't changed much on the usb drive and i think i'm going in circles in trying to make the ethernet work or the wireless... i tried to follow the howtos and wikis in this site and googled my way through with any luck... what's bothering is the eth0 not being automatically detected, but when i have slaks linux on, ethernet connection is a go... i might just figure things out first before trying some stuff again... i might end up screwing up the whole laptop... hehehe... if only there's a way to "inject" knoppix with all of the generic stuff so it autodetects everything, so people can actually switch to knoppix faster...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working
$150.00