Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: mounting ntfs under knoppix or slax

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2

    mounting ntfs under knoppix or slax

    I noticed that when mounting ntfs partitions under knoppix or slax (I
    tried only latest versions) there were directories (probably even files)
    that i couldn't see. Either under VT or under any graphical explorer
    window.

    those directories do not have any specific names; "µto", "My\ files"...

    One thing is that the ntfs partitions were formatted under windowsXP.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I have never had a problem reading a NTFS partition under Knoppix. I only use standard English characters and have seen others post about problems with foregin characters, but you indicate that is not your problem. I have not done a lot of work with NTFS and version 5.3.1 of Knoppix, but I have no reason to expect it will be less able to deal with reading of NTFS partitions than previous versions. However, I never write to NTFS with Knoppix. Some people say it is safe, but this has been shown over and over again through the years to be a source of partition corruption. I don't know if 5.3.1 is any better or not, but I don't yet trust it, and since I expect that Microsoft may be actively fighting Linux NTFS compatibility with their "Security updates" I don't expect that I will trust it. If you are only trying to read the NTFS partition with Knoppix I would be interested in hearing more about the problem. But if you have written to NTFS with Knoppix and now find that the NTFS partition is showing signs of corruption, I'm not very surprised.

    By the way, if the NTFS partition is corrupted, that doesn't have to be caused by Linux. We see lots of people who come to this forum trying to recover data from NTFS partitions who only heard about Knoppix and started using Linux after XP corrupted it's own partitions. I've seen XP corrupt disks that I never accesses with Knoppix and still have several drives that I can't recover files from.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2
    Actually, the ntfs partition i'm dealing with has never been accessed in write mode with any linux.
    it was made a few weeks before by ms windoze, when i had to format all and reinstalled it.

    but in what you say, you points the windoze security updates; i don't think windows could modify its ntfs table so easily.

    anyway... there seems to be a real issue with live linux; coz, on my laptop there was the same problem when i booted on knoppix, while i can access all my data on ntfs through my system wide slackware linux.

Similar Threads

  1. mounting ntfs rw
    By matttail in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 10:57 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
  3. mounting to NTFS
    By Li'l Roberto in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
  4. Mounting NTFS HDD
    By ForbiddenSword in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
  5. NTFS Mounting
    By dlichterman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$99.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces picture

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces

$40.99



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer

$95.00