Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: KDE, apt-get and Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20

    KDE, apt-get and Knoppix

    I have installed knoppix yesterday (runs now just fine ).
    I started to play around with it (especially with apt-get), and found, that updating KDE isn't all that simple.
    After trashing my system with "apt-get dist-upgrade" and playing around by installing and removing of testing and unstable packages for a few more hours I reinstalled it today completelly.

    Ok, now I want to install kdict (on my new, cleanly reinstalled knoppix 3.2), and therefore run:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    root@terminus:/home/knoppix# apt-get -s install kdict
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

    Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
    kdict: Depends: kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.2.2-1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Sorry, broken packages
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    the uncommented lines of my sources.list:

    # Stable
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    # Testing
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
    # Unstable
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    apt.conf is unchanged, which means my default release is testing
    and yes, I did run apt-get update beforehand.

    I tried to install noatun as well, and got the same unmet dependency.

    Can anybody help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    If apt-get install package doens't work try "apt-get install package/testing" or "apt-get install package/unstable". Alternately you may try "apt-get -t testing install package" or "apt-get -t unstable install package". The last one may be the ticket but try the others first.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    The last one is the only one where apt-get isn't complaining about broken packages.
    That is what apt-get want's to do:

    The following extra packages will be installed:
    alsa-headers ark audacity cpp-3.2 cupsys e2fsprogs fontconfig
    foomatic-db-gimp-print g++-3.2 gcc-3.2 gcc-3.2-base gcc-3.3-base gcj-3.2 gs
    gs-common gs-esp ijsgimpprint k3b kaddressbook kalarm kamera kandy
    kappfinder karbon karm kasteroids kate kate-plugins kbattleship kbounce
    kcalc kcharselect kchart kcoloredit kcontrol kdeaddons-kfile-plugins
    kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs-bin
    kdelibs-data kdelibs4 kdelibs4-dev kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
    kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-libs
    kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdevelop kdevelop-data kdf kdm kdvi kedit kfax
    kfind kfloppy kformula kgeo kget kghostview kgpgcertmanager khelpcenter
    khexedit kicker kicker-applets kiconedit kivio kjots klaptopdaemon klipper
    kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmix kmrml knotes koffice-libs kompare konq-plugins
    konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kontour kooka korganizer koshell
    kpackage kpager kpaint kpersonalizer kpf kpilot kppp kpresenter krdc krfb
    ksim ksmserver ksnapshot ksokoban ksplash kspread kstars ksync ksysguard
    ksysguardd kteatime ktimer ktip kugar kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell kwin
    kword kxmlrpc libarts1 libarts1-dev libartsc0 libartsc0-dev libasound2
    libasound2-dev libaudio-dev libblkid1 libcupsimage2 libcupsys2
    libcupsys2-dev libdb4.1 libfam-dev libfam0c102 libfontconfig1
    libfontconfig1-dev libgcc1 libgcj3 libgcj3-dev libgcrypt-dev libgcrypt1
    libgdbmg1-dev libgimpprint1 libgnutls5 libgnutls5-dev libgphoto2-2
    libgphoto2-port0 libid3-3.8.3 libijs-0.34 libkdegames1 libkdenetwork2
    libkonq4 libkregexpeditor libkscan1 libldap2 libmal0 libmimelib1 libopenal0
    libopencdk-dev libqt3-headers libqt3-mt-dev libqt3c102-mt libsane libsasl2
    libsdl-mixer1.2 libsmbclient libstdc++5 libstdc++5-dev libtasn1-dev
    libusb-0.1-4 libusb-dev libvorbis-dev libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
    libvorbisfile3 libwxgtk2.4 libxft2 libxft2-dev libxslt1 lisa psi python2.2
    qt3-dev-tools scribus sox vorbis-tools xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibmesa-glu-dev
    xlibs xlibs-dev xlibs-pic
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    cupsys-driver-gimpprint kalarmd klprfax libfam0 libkcal2 libkgantt0
    libqt3-dev libqt3-helper libqt3-mt libvorbis0 nas-dev qt3-tools
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    g++-3.2 gcc-3.3-base gs ijsgimpprint kdepim-kfile-plugins kdict libaudio-dev
    libblkid1 libcupsimage2 libdb4.1 libfam0c102 libfontconfig1-dev
    libgcrypt-dev libgdbmg1-dev libgnutls5-dev libid3-3.8.3 libijs-0.34 libmal0
    libopencdk-dev libqt3-headers libqt3c102-mt libsasl2 libsmbclient
    libstdc++5-dev libtasn1-dev libvorbis0a libwxgtk2.4 libxft2-dev
    qt3-dev-tools xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibmesa-glu-dev xlibs-pic
    The following held packages will be changed:
    libqt3-dev libqt3-mt libqt3-mt-dev
    162 packages upgraded, 32 newly installed, 12 to remove and 651 not upgraded.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looks like this would actually work...
    But why the heck do I have to upgrade half my system?
    I thought KDE 3 stays binary-compatible?
    But if thats the way to go, I will do it (and pray that i don't trash my system again...)
    Thanks for your hint!
    (Before I do upgrade, I will wait for an reaction)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Code:
    [05:11 PM Sat May 31: root @ /home/stephen]
    ># apt-cache policy kdict
    kdict:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 4:2.2.2-14.1
      Version Table:
         4:3.1.2-1 0
            500 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
         4:2.2.2-14.6 0
            500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
         4:2.2.2-14.1 0
            990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
         4:2.2.2-14 0
            500 http://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
    [05:12 PM Sat May 31: root @ /home/stephen]
    ># apt-get -s install kdict/unstable
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Selected version 4:3.1.2-1 (Debian:unstable) for kdict
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      kdict
    0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 33  not upgraded.
    Inst kdict (4:3.1.2-1 Debian:unstable)
    Conf kdict (4:3.1.2-1 Debian:unstable)
    I think you would be better off just installing the single package. But if you are on a high speed connection and can do without the 12 packages that will be removed it looks like it's going to work properly.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    the connection isn't the problem (DSL flat), but if I could just install the single package I would do so (less likely to cause problems). I just don't know how...

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    24

    Maybe this will help

    I'm not sure if this will do the trick but apt-get has a force command. You can try apt-get install -f without any package but that might break some dependancies, you could also try apt-get install -f kdict and that just might do the trick. I assume you can -s to simulate those too.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    the -f option is for fixing broken packages, not to force anything.
    I could try to force dpkg to install the package, but for that I would need the .deb package on my system first. And apt-get won't fetch it, because of the broken packages...

    Anyway, no one tried to stop me from installing kdict upgrading kde alongside, so I while give that a try.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Icekiss
    the connection isn't the problem (DSL flat), but if I could just install the single package I would do so (less likely to cause problems). I just don't know how...
    So which packages are conflicting when you run apt-get -s install kdict/unstable can you do without them if so remove them. Just simulate the removal of the packages and see if anything important is going to be removed. Could you post the output of the above apt-get so I can see.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    The output of your command is, that there are broken packages.

    The command "apt-get -s -t unstable install kdict" does work however.
    The output is already listed in this Thread (my second post in this thread).

    The packages that are to be removed are:
    cupsys-driver-gimpprint kalarmd klprfax libfam0 libkcal2 libkgantt0
    libqt3-dev libqt3-helper libqt3-mt libvorbis0 nas-dev qt3-tools

    That looks ok to me.
    I just hope that nothing of the cool knoppix preconfiguration gets lost on the way.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    20
    Well, I did try to do the actualizing of KDE, it downloaded ok, but presented me an error within the replacement process:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/kdepim-libs_4%3a3.1.2-1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    translation of the first line: "errors occured during the processing of:"
    After that I was given back the command line...
    I tried the proposed "apt-get -f install", but that wanted to remove the whole KDE!

    I'm going to reboot my computer now, to see if everything still works ok...

    EDIT: back again, seems like no harm is done

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs picture

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs

$895.00



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T) picture

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)

$329.98



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit #2 picture

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit #2

$838.50



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



NOB AlfaData AlfaScan Plus Hand Scanner for Commodore Amiga 256 Grayscale RARE picture

NOB AlfaData AlfaScan Plus Hand Scanner for Commodore Amiga 256 Grayscale RARE

$149.99