Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Failsafe causes reboot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4

    Failsafe causes reboot

    Hi people, I have trouble booting Knoppix on my PC. Here is some info about my hardware:
    AMD X2 (dual core 64bit CPUs) 3600+
    Maxtor stm325031 250 GB 7200 rpm
    2 GB Dual Channel RAM DDR2-400
    Geforce 7900 GTO
    AMD 690G chipset
    Realtek ALC883 8-Kanal HD Audio
    Realtek RTL8110SC Giga LAN Anschluss
    USB mouse and keyboard

    I have tried Knoppix 5.1.1 and Knoppix 4 with the same outcome: when I try to boot with the default auto-detecting behavior, it hangs on detecting USB devices or on starting udev. I have tried failsafe, it starts working ok but after a while it reboots my computer without any input from my side. I also tried expert mode, but my USB keyboard is not working then
    I am currently trying to burn Knoppix 5.3.1 and I'll let you know how it behaves as well, if you need to.

    Any ideas? Any tips on how to proceed with troubleshooting?
    Thanks in advance.

    EDIT: I've tried Knoppix 5.3.1 and the default boot still hangs on "detecting USB/firewire devices". However, failsafe boots now, but my USB mouse and keyboard aren't working...
    Can you help me narrow down on the cause of the problem so that the hardware module can be avoided, and I can avoid complete failsafe mode?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4
    Update:
    After much trial and error (read: 20-30 reboots, the minimal command with which I can boot Knoppix 5.3.1 is
    knoppix acpi=off nousb

    Without any of these 2 flags, Knoppix hangs (on Scanning for USB/Firewire devices, when nousb is not included, and even before that when acpi=off is not included).

    While I don't care much about acpi, but I really don't feel like buying a PS2 keyboard
    So I've got this far, and I have no idea how to debug usb support. I'm sure that there are more knowledgeable people than me on this forum, and I would appreciate their help

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    21
    I am also stuck with similar problem will try to trouble shoot and post the result. Meanwhile if somebody gets thew solution pls. let me know

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by nalini
    I am also stuck with similar problem will try to trouble shoot and post the result. Meanwhile if somebody gets thew solution pls. let me know
    What kind of hardware you're using? I'm pretty sure it is a general kernel incompatibility with the AMD690GM mainboard. I'm trying to narrow it down as well so I can submit the problem to the kernel people. USB support worked by default in Puppylinux, and in safemode with the GParted live CD, but didn't work with Opensuse 10.3/11b1, so I'll check the kernel versions where it works and where it doesn't.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    21
    I am using AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Will check for kernel compatibilities (GA-MA69VM-S2 F8 HI gigabyte)

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by letso
    What kind of hardware you're using?
    Quote Originally Posted by nalini
    I am using AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ ... (GA-MA69VM-S2 F8 HI gigabyte)
    You might want to give a more detailed list of hardware. I have multiple AMD 64 bit dual core systems and have not had any trouble booting Knoppix (I did need a cheat code for video on my AMD 5200+ with Nvidia 8500 graphics, but that was pretty obvious the first time that I tried to boot it).

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    21
    I could boot the amd system system finally with just acpi=off option. Actually we need a CD version so I had upgraded the 5.1.1 CD with 5.3.1's kernel and other required packages.

    As of now everything seems to be ok. We will do more testing of various AMD systems. Will post the results.

    thanks for all the help

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1

    Booting Live Knoppix DVD

    Hello,
    My booting of the Knoppix DVD also stalled at the "Scanning for USB/Firewire devices...".
    Was able to boot and run, with seemingly no problems, when "ACPI=off" at the Prompt.
    This,BTW, is the latest Knoppix DVD.

    My system is as follows;
    CPU; AMD Athlon64x2 6000 series, socket AM2.
    MOBO; Asus H2A-VM HDMI.
    Memory; @Gig DDR2 667Mhz.
    Video; Nvidia GeForce8600GT.
    Storage; SEAGATE 160gigs IDE Sata2
    WD 250gigs IDE ATA
    WD 320gigs USB
    DVD IDE ATAPI.

    Bernard

Similar Threads

  1. What do you do when failsafe or testcd won't even boot?
    By Drax946 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 08:40 PM
  2. Failsafe install for v3.7
    By kimh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 07:52 PM
  3. USB With Failsafe Boot
    By End_User in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 01:34 PM
  4. Failsafe and 2.6 work
    By BusaDude in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 04:15 AM
  5. failsafe mode
    By twmspro in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 01:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage PC Accessories Floppy Disk Storage Case/Red picture

Vintage PC Accessories Floppy Disk Storage Case/Red

$27.00



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00



MSI P4M900M2-L MS-7255 LGA 775 Motherboard Vintage Retro PC Open Box New NOS picture

MSI P4M900M2-L MS-7255 LGA 775 Motherboard Vintage Retro PC Open Box New NOS

$225.00



Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition picture

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition

$199.99



Vintage 1993 Digital Semiconductor DEC Ceramic PGA CPU – Alpha Era picture

Vintage 1993 Digital Semiconductor DEC Ceramic PGA CPU – Alpha Era

$150.00



Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer | Turns On picture

Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer | Turns On

$299.99



Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC picture

Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC

$119.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive picture

Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive

$114.88



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19