Ok, let's not start a flame war here, no one needs or wants it.

I have that same attitude, that if you want something done, try to do it yourself. I believe the trouble comes when people come to Linux from Windows, and in the windows world, you can't really do much for yourself. You can't rebuild the kernel, you can't compile many of your apps, if you want features in apps you have to request them. Then you make the move over to Linux, and you can do all of this stuff, with very little difficulty.

Knoppix(and Linux in general) are financially free, but they do cost time. Next to no one is getting paid to work on all these wonderful apps, and they do have to make money at some point. so maybe they don't feel like programming 100% of the time, and that's fine with me. I'll take what I get cause I'm not paying a cent for it.