-
Junior Member
registered user
Must use KwikDisk to mount my 2nd cd drive
Ever since creating a persistent knoppix.img on my USB Flash drive and using that as my persistant home, system, settings, I have a problem with using the 2nd cd drive, the one without the Knoppix DVD (5.3.1) in it.
Before using persistent, only the Knoppix DVD had an icon on the desktop and inserting a cd or dvd into the 2nd drive created an icon I could mount, open the cd/dvd, etc.
Now, there are always icons there for hdc and hdd, as well as the Knoppix DVD and right clicking to mount them after inserting a disc pops up an error box stating that I need hal for this. All the hal stuff is installed and I've made no changes to the KDE removable media settings.
No new icon appears when inserting a cd/dvd. I checked in K3b and it sees and is able to mount/view/unmount the inserted disc.
Then I opened KwikDisk, chose the drive with the inserted cd/dvd, and it mounted it. It created an additional folder for it in /media, bypassing the cdrom or other folders already there that the disc would ordinarily be mounted in.
Opening the new folder in /media accesses the disc perfectly and I'm able to copy files from it to my home folder or wherever. Then I right click KwikDisk again to unmount it and then remove the cd/dvd and close KwikDisk.
Apparently something changes the mounting behavior when using the USB Flash drive to run a persistent Knoppix image. Does anyone know if this is by design, a bug, something I can fix to restore normal Knoppix behavior?
The KDE autorun stuff does not run either. You know, that window that appears asking what to do with the newly detected media. Something got broken here. I made no fstab changes and it's just like Knoppix sets it up so I can't figure out what's going on here.
I haven't tried playing cd's or dvd's with this wacky setup yet. They worked fine without the persistent image, using just the Knoppix DVD to run things. Haven't tried, but I can't see how the players will find the cd or dvd this way.
Just in case you're wondering, it's a Sandisk Cruiser Micro 8GB USB Flash drive with a 3880MB persistent knoppix.img file. I had uninstalled u3, so there's nothing weird on there that should effect the cd drives.
Similar Threads
-
By flowergardener in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-08-2006, 02:47 AM
-
By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-04-2005, 09:27 PM
-
By pubo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
-
By timepilot in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By De Vince in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99