-
Senior Member
registered user
Scanners -- a word of praise!
I just wanted to praise whoever wrote the scanner autodetection stuff.
I've a Mustek BearPaw (OK, I'm a cheapskate) which usually takes something like 1/2 hour to set up in SuSE (and that's when I can get the evil YaST to co-operate). It's a moderately tricky device to set up because although it's a Mustek it uses the Plustek drivers.........
Anyway, Knoppix recognises it immediately and all that's necessary is to apt-get install xsane (Mustek's don't like xscanimage).
Great stuff!
-
Senior Member
registered user
yep.
SUSE isn't everything.
I got a story too :
SUSE even won't pass the install phase on a nforce 220D based motherboard. (while SUSE uses GRUB bootloader =>requieres more memory). Knoppix did manage to boot :P
Debian on the contrary sticks to the basics of linux...
greetz,...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hello all,
I am just adding to the praise for KNOPPIX.
I couldn't get my older scanner to work
so I did put out some money for an
Epson 1660 USB 2. I work from CD so
my KDE Autostat copies in a revised file
for /etc/sane.d/epson.conf from the floppy.
But all works great and the USB 2 is
very much faster so I guess I did not
waste my money.
Best Wishes
paradocs
-
Junior Member
registered user
hello..
i edited the epson.conf file the problem is i cant save it coz it a read only file. can you tell me on how to save it?
thanx
-
Senior Member
registered user
i edited the epson.conf file the problem is i cant save it coz it a read only file. can you tell me on how to save it?
my KDE Autostart copies in a revised file for /etc/sane.d/epson.conf from the floppy
I don't have a scanner so I don't know exactly needs to be done to get xsane working, if it will need to be restarted after loading the new conf file or what...
But as far as scripts and edits to your knoppix system, you will have to save your edited file to a writable media such as a floppy or a your persistant home, etc. and then load the file from there. When running from the cd you are using a read only media, some of the system is in ram but when you reboot all edits are gone, so you must save to a persistent hoem, a floppy, a zip disk, or a windows partition(not ntfs), etc.
Note in the second quote above paradocs uses KDE Autostart to load the fixed file from floppy, in order for that to work I think you will have to have a persistent home.
You could just manually copy the file from floppy after your system is booted.
HTH
~rock
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi 1ijack,
The magic of KNOPPIX from the compressed cloop read only
file on the CD can be a bit hard to follow. I like doing projects
from the live CD KNOPPIX.
Here is the trick. When you get into the directory
/etc/sane.d and type ls you see blue files.
Now type ll -a
and you will see that these are not real files -- they
are links. So you cannot edit them.
What to do? Well you copy the file -- epson.conf
in to /home/knoppix.
If you try to edit it from your desktop it will say permission
denied. Bummer! The file is a root file. So from the
shell enter the command su. This will make you root.
Now you can edit the file -- if you can manage a console
editor. My favorite is vim -- so study that.
Ok, gvim started from the root prompt wil work.
Make your edits and save this file.
You may want to also save this to a floppy if you do not
have a persistent home.
Now for the weird part: In the read only directory you
cannot add new files or change the files -- remember they are
links to the CD. But you can remove the file link as root.
rm -f /etc/scan.d/epson.conf
And now you can copy your edited file there since KNOPPIX
has alowed a link for that file name.
cp /home/knoppix/epson.conf /etc/sane.d/*.*
Hard to believe but it should work. For fun -- now
go the /etc/sane.d and again type ls.
Low and behold, among all the blue files will be your
white one.
As I mentioned above, all of this can be automated
from a script. But get it working by hand first.
Let me know if you get this to work.
For the new versions of KNOPPIX live CD
Herr Klaus Knopper will allow a method
of file overlay -- translucency -- to allow
new user created files to appear as if they
are on the CD file system.
Best Wishes
paradocs
Similar Threads
-
By Jarlath in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-04-2004, 07:37 PM
-
By Jack_ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 08:27 PM
-
By doudou in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-04-2004, 10:12 AM
-
By snowby in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-31-2003, 07:21 PM
-
By Gandalf_Grey_ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested
$670.00

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95