-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I use Nero, always verify, and you should always be able to get a verified burn. If it fails, the disc has a problem. Things to try include different brand of media, CDRW rather than CDR (avoids wasting more CDS but also using CDRW media changes the read gain at boot time that can help bypass some read errors), and burning on a different system (although if you have to do this it may indicate a CD drive problem that is also affecting the boot process). Also be sure that you are using 700 meg media; yes we have had long posts from a user who finally acknowledged that they were trying to burn the CD to 650 meg media.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Harry wrote:
I sure hope that you tested if you got a good download by the md5 checksum test (although if the disc works in another computer then the md5 sum is very likely good
No, I didn't run that. I don't understand it. I did get this from a Knoppix html download mirror listed on the official site and it did work on another computer. Still, can you direct me to a tutorial explaining how to use the md5 sum image to check it? I did download that, but have no clue as to how to use it.
Thanks,
kwc
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
kwc
No, I didn't run that. I don't understand it. ...
Answer #1
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Solved. Finally.
Turns out a 1 gig ram card had failed. So programs/operating systems loading from CD (or harddrive) would start to load, start writing to/mapping one ram card and then when they moved to the second one (which has gone faulty) the computer would crash, reboot.
Had nothing to do with linux, knoppix, Windows. And only took me about 60 hours to figure out. And I only did that with the help of a very savvy tech who had a program that was able to stop the screen and let us read the blue-screen-of-death messages that were flashing before our eyes as the computer would reboot each time.
Popping out the defective memory immediately fixed the problem.
Thanks for all the help here.
Best,
kwc
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
It might have been handy to know that if you boot the Knoppix disc and type in memtest at the boot prompt that you will run memtest86. That is talked about many places in the forums, in the wiki, and in the documentation that comes with a torrent download. We didn't get that far because we were still talking about things like did you confirm you had a good download with the md5 test. Glad that you got it resolved though.
-
memtest
I was having a similar issue booting from various live CDs. I suspected the memory and ran memtest through 3 times and found no errors. I then decided to run it overnight, yet still no errors. Upon realizing I had some extra DIMMs laying around I swapped out the memory and voila! Frustrating to say the least. So the moral of this tail, memtest is a great tool yet don't rely on it 100% as with everything.
Similar Threads
-
By amaroq in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
-
By bigkahuna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2005, 11:44 PM
-
By thewolf in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 01:28 PM
-
By julan in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-07-2004, 07:54 AM
-
By maciejz in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00

Dell Latitude 3390 2-in-1 13.3" Touchscreen i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 10 Pro
$120.00

Intel Core i7-13700K 13th Gen 16-Core 24-Thread 5.4GHz LGA1700 CPU SRMB8
$274.99

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)
$123.16

Dell Latitude 7480 Intel Core I5-6300u 2.40GHZ 8GB 256GB Touch WCam W11 Cord
$85.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00