-
Can't get "persistent home" to work (solved)
I'm trying a simple test of persistent home in version 5.3.1: In home, I touched testfile, and in /usr/local/man, as su, again touched testfile. Next, from menu, created persistent image. Checked to see that image file exists. Then rebooted with knoppix home=scan. (I found in this forum the curious fact that one must hit enter at the right time, even though all the selections in the dialog box are OK; after doing so I got a message that the image was loaded.) Next I looked for my two test files, but I can find neither one.
What am I doing wrong?
Answer: after creating persistent image, you have to reboot before anything can be saved.
Or do I have the wrong conception of what this is supposed to do? Browsing back over old forum comments, it looks like what was once "persistent home" is now "persistent session", i.e. the whole overlaid filesystem.
Answer: yes, that seems to be the case. The testfile in /usr/local/man was saved.
Also, "save knoppix configuration" seems to have disappeared from the menu, which would make sense if the session save now includes saving the configuration.
Answer: yes, that seems to be so. Printer configuration was saved.
There is an exit menu related to persistent home that flashes up for about 3 seconds. Am I correct to guess is that this gives you the option to update the session save if you are quick enough and that otherwise the session save is frozen at the time that you made the manual selection?
Answer: if you just let screen this time out, the session will be saved automatically. I haven't tried to intervene here, but I suppose it allows one to avoid overwriting the old image file.
Are there logs where you can check when images were written and read?
Answer: I haven't found any, but if the new-user introduction does not come up at boot, you have probably succeeded in loading the saved image.
Similar Threads
-
By GCMartin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 10
Last Post: 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
-
By Honkeychops in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-01-2004, 05:23 AM
-
By Pokec in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-07-2003, 07:39 PM
-
By EmoRock in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-22-2003, 06:13 AM
-
By neitzel in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 5 Apple OEM 96W USB-C Power Adapter for MacBook Pro / Pre-owned no box
$140.00

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good
$21.05

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015
$26.98

Lot of Apple OEM Accessories Keyboard iPod Network Display Power Adapters READ
$149.00

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air
$419.59

Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power
$109.99