-
My First Linux Firewall Box From HDD Install
I've had a fantasy of setting up a Linux firewall computer to protect our Windows computers here, or failing that, at least setting up a Linux machine as my primary internet computer. Need plenty of advice if you can offer it, I don't really know much about Linux.
Built up a MODT (mobile [CPU] On Desktop) computer using a laptop hard drive, because I wanted to try making a low-energy computer for a change. Has no onboard CDROM or DVD, but have acquired a nice USB2 external that succeeded in booting Knoppix and performed a Knoppix HDD install, version 5.1. It's an all-in-one board and I've installed no cards and want to refrain from it.
After addressing a small issue with permissions discussed in the HDD install forum here, I managed to perform an apt-get update and upgrade, and got Knoppix to configure my network chip so I can now go online with the new box. So far good. BTW, using a Zyxel X-550 router.
First big question:
This Mobo has only one LAN connector. Do I need more than one network connector to properly use this box as a firewall? I don't want to add another PCI card if I can avoid it. (This question pretty much shows how much I know I'm sure.)
Other big question:
What should be my next steps? I'm a Linux novice really, and I've always run away from networking issues. Can anybody describe or direct me to some infos or resources for how to easily as possible achieve my goal, or what I need to look at? I'm really trying to keep it simple and avoid steep learning curves if I can. At least for now.
Thx for your attn., the minnow
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm not expert on networking and I maybe wrong.
But for big question number one, I think you need another LAN card.
Here is what I think your setup should look like:
internet ==> 1st LAN card ==> Linux server with firewall/DHCP etc ==> 2nd LAN card ==> switch or hub ==> all other PCs
Again, I maybe wrong. If anyone has a better solution, please speak up.
If what I think is the only way, then you may want to go for your plan B. Just use the linux box for internet surfing.
Rgds,
Chip
-
Hey Chip, thanks for the reply. I may need to build up another computer if I need to put in another LAN card. It is possible with this home-made case but not really a good idea. (I built the case for a different project actually, and just wanted to put it to use.) Which I may have to do, but at any rate I'm just happy to have a Linux box again. Cheers, minnow
Similar Threads
-
By riogeedee in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-03-2006, 01:19 AM
-
By ramaswamyps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-05-2005, 01:42 AM
-
By Zippylds in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 01:46 PM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 12:24 AM
-
By dreamer1201 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge T440 Tower Server 2x Intel Gold 5118 and 128GB 2400MHZ DDR4
$1840.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$225.00

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205
$317.56

HP ProLiant DL380 G9 Server 512GB RAM 20TB HDD Nvidia Titan RTX 24GB GPU 2x Xeon
$4499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$368.00

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00

USB 2.0 Network Print Server LAN Print Share Server USB Wireless Print Server
$25.19