~/.profile and ~/.bashrc are ignored (as are ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bash_login). So I am currently putting my login commands and ENV=$HOME/.bashrc in /etc/profile. With ENV set and exported, then ~/.bashrc (with my aliases) gets executed.
My question: is there a better way to set the login and nonlogin configurations in Knoppix?
The first time I tried setting ENV, my pre-existing ~/.bashrc was overwritten by a copy of /etc/bash.bashrc, which simply invokes /etc/profile. However, when I appended my own code to the .bashrc created by knoppix, the file persisted and worked as intended.
I don't understand why ENV is working. According to info bash, that should only happen when bash is invoked as sh, yet echo $SHELL returns bash. I only tried it after all else failed.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00