Hi,
I hope you get the project going - its such a good idea.
I am slowly removing crud from my knoppix install - i'll make some kind of diff between
>dpkg -l
at install and when I'm satisfied.
See ya
Anders
I am planning on creating a family-oriented remaster of Knoppix, optimized the average home and family PC.
This means keeping and emphasizing the easiest, flashiest and most useful home applications, such as KDE, OpenOffice, Mozilla, and XMMS. At the same time, it means removing geek-only stuff like Apache and the various networking and programming tools.
This is an important and even essential project because right now, the biggest complaint against Knoppix for use as a home OS is that is too unwieldy. Having 15 different text editors doesn’t add any value to a home OS; it just makes things unnecessarily complicated. This isn’t a knock against Knoppix, which after all wasn’t designed to compete in the home OS market. However, having a “home Knoppix” project would be great for the Knoppix community, as it would be a great way to make Knoppix more mainstream and give it some exposure.
My question for forum members is therefore the following: Knoppix has over a thousand packages… which geek-only packages can we removed without breaking the distro? This isn’t as easy to answer as it sounds, since the majority of packages have pretty confusing descriptions (ex: arpwatch - Ethernet/FDDI station activity monitor.)
If someone gives me a list of packages that can be removed, I will remaster the ISO without these packages. I will make it available to everyone on my FTP site, so you can burn a copy for you’re your girlfriend and even your grandmother!
Hi,
I hope you get the project going - its such a good idea.
I am slowly removing crud from my knoppix install - i'll make some kind of diff between
>dpkg -l
at install and when I'm satisfied.
See ya
Anders
I don't get it. KDE, OpenOffice. Mozilla, xmms, ... are already *in* Knoppix. So, sure, you
could remove stuff but you first to define what you really want to add -- i.e. what is your added
value here?
Dirk
The value of removing geek-only packages is free space. There are a million things you could do with an extra 100 or 200 MB on the CD, which could directly add to the home desktop experience.
Imagine hundreds of beautiful wallpapers, themes, icon sets, fonts, games, etc. Stuff people will be eager to explore and discover – much more so than a “fast lexical analyzer generator” (flex) or a “Server to use partimage across a network” (partimage-server).
The challenge is not finding what to add (everyone has their own ideas) but finding what can be safely removed (which only linux gurus know for sure).
Don't be so sure home users don't want "geek-only" software. While I wouldn't include Apache (because its complicated, not complex), I'd consider including a solid web server like Xitami or a web application framework like Zope. Home users have need to serve web pages for various reasons, including SOHO businesses, web pages for pictures for grandma, etc.Originally Posted by law_student
The future (nearly here) will have http servers built into everything you can imagine. Chip based http servers are very inexpensive. If present tech trends continue HTML/XHTML will become 'the second language' for many people the world over, if it isn't already.
It would be a mistake to not include a programming language that has a high-level memory model, i.e., garbage collection, with native support for object-oriented programming. The language of choice here is Io, but Python comes a close second.
Why Io? Io uses prototype-based inheritance, which means everything really is an object. Class-based inheritance languages (e.g., Java, Python, C++, Smalltalk, etc) abound, but suffer from the class-instance dichotomy. Of these, Python is much simpler and cleaner than the rather lousy Java and C++. Of course, not including GCC, which provides C++ compiling support, would be a mistake.
Home enthusiasts who do not program most likely want digital still camera support, digital video camera support and serious mp3/ogg/mpg file swapping support.
So, if you're going to re-master Knoppix for the home, here's what you need:
1. Linux kernel
2. bash
3. XFree86
4. Mozilla
5. Xitami
6. Zope
7. XMMS
8. XChat
9. Jabber
10. [camera software here]
My school's LUG is looking into using Knoppix as our "advertising" distro, give or take some school branding, so I'm very interested in what you're doing here. Sounds great!
One thing I would add, you've got to include some games. Home users like games.In particular, we've found that the "killer app" for GNU/Linux is, I kid thee not, TuxRacer. We've had people want to switch to Linux just for the joy of watching Tux go flying down an iceberg at 200 kph. Frozen Bubble should also be in there, as that class of game is also insanely popular.
I'm sure there are other games that should be kept. Can anyone think of any?
if you want to use tuxrace you will have to make sure that 3d acceleration works
since nvida has noticable marketshare you will have to modify knoppix to include nvidia's binary 3d drivers
The flavor of gaming at my school that's really popular now is LAN Parties! Of these games, I kid you not, the most asked for is:
...drum roll, please
...BZFlag!
This game is home friendly too. If you're not on a LAN, you can play over the internet where many people have hosted bzflag servers out there with kid friendly filters (boots users with foul language, poor lag, shooting team mates, etc.). They have some really wild maps out there too.
EDIT: Watch out, I must be promoting MORPHIX again, but guess what, MORPHIXgame has BZFlag on it!
Enjoy,
One thing I would add, you've got to include some games. Home users like games.
My kids love Knoppix just for the games - they want more - how do I give them what they want?
Try the Morphix gaming disk: www.morphix.orgOriginally Posted by dave45

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99
Lot of 15 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets for Parts
$338.63
LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD TLC DRAM 95% or Better
$250.00