-
Knoppix chmod permissions problems
I have a 60 GB HDD with 3 partitions. The primary partition is a FAT32 partition with windows 2000 server on it. The Windows installation on the disk is damaged and we are attempting to recover the data before we wipe it and start anew. I managed to retrieve the files from the other two partitions but for whatever reason I am having some issues with the windows 2000 partition. I have been moving the files to a mounted Network HDD that i mount on /mnt/Maxtor thru smbmount. When I try to move the files from the partition in question i am told i don't have write permission anymore. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I tried chmod from root but it said permission denied. Any help would be greatly appreciated
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Knoppix chmod permissions problems

Originally Posted by
sad1sm0
.... When I try to move the files from the partition in question i am told i don't have write permission anymore. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I tried chmod from root but it said permission denied. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Glad that you have been able to get smbmount to work, it can be tricky. The approach that I use is to install an FTP server on the destination system and then use konquror as the FTP client and transfer files across the network that way. I also find that the file transfers tend to be much faster this way. As to your problem, you mention that you are moving the files and that you are having a problem with write permission. Since you were able to move the files on the other partitions, it sounds like the write permission issue is on the partition that you are trying to recover from, not on the destination system. My advice is that you should never be trying to write to any potentially corrupted partition at all; that is; you should be doing a copy rather than a move. Copy should only need read access, which you seem to have, while move does a copy and then deletes the original, requiring write access to the source disk.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Re: Knoppix chmod permissions problems

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
sad1sm0
.... When I try to move the files from the partition in question i am told i don't have write permission anymore. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I tried chmod from root but it said permission denied. Any help would be greatly appreciated
As to your problem, you mention that you are moving the files and that you are having a problem with write permission. Since you were able to move the files on the other partitions, it sounds like the write permission issue is on the partition that you are trying to recover from, not on the destination system. My advice is that you should never be trying to write to any potentially corrupted partition at all; that is; you should be doing a
copy rather than a
move. Copy should only need read access, which you seem to have, while move does a copy and then deletes the original, requiring write access to the source disk.
I said move... that was a mistake. I am actually copying. I tried to do it at the command line level too and i Used the command cp -r /mnt/hda1 /mnt/maxtor and all it did was create a link to the files on hda1. An update though. I have managed to weasel my way into transfering files. I first use chmod a=wrx /mnt so that knoppix user has the proper permissions to mkdir /mnt/maxtor. I think that this was a key point because I wasn't able to get knoppix to smbmount before, i had to do that from root. But when I create the folder with knoppix instead of root it lets me. From there i seem to have all of the permissions i need to do what I am trying to do. Still having a few issues here and there, but i think the HDD I am copying from is failing.

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Glad that you have been able to get smbmount to work, it can be tricky. The approach that I use is to install an FTP server on the destination system and then use konquror as the FTP client and transfer files across the network that way. I also find that the file transfers tend to be much faster this way.
I think that the Maxtor has FTP support on it... Not a hundred percent sure. I hadn't even thought of this approach. How do you use konqueror as an FTP client? Does it connect automatically when you go to an FTP address?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Knoppix chmod permissions problems

Originally Posted by
sad1sm0
I think that the Maxtor has FTP support on it... Not a hundred percent sure. I hadn't even thought of this approach. How do you use konqueror as an FTP client? Does it connect automatically when you go to an FTP address?
If your Maxtor is some sort of network appliance with an ethernet connection this may be true. If it's just an external drive, as I had assumed, with a USB, firewire or eSATA connector, it will not be. In any case, yes, to use Konquror as an FTP client, just put an ftp address in the browser address window. That is, rather than typing in http://www.knoppix.net you would type in something like ftp://192.168.0.100 (where the IP address is the target system with the ftp server). If name resolution is working you may be able to get to the other system by name rather than number, but this numeric approach always works.
Similar Threads
-
By pdc124 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
-
By mmcfly8888 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-16-2005, 05:15 AM
-
By jiohdi in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
-
By willkill69 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 10:05 PM
-
By eco2geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-22-2003, 07:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01