-
Switching off hdd access at boot?
Aim: boot via knoppix live dvd
Problem: My laptop's hard disk has suffered some kind of catastrophe, and is not usable. When I try to boot knoppix 5.3 (even with nofstab and noswap), it takes ages and frequently pauses for a few minutes as I get to listen to the hard disk clunking away, probably returning senile rubbish.
So how can I get knoppix to give up on its dry-humping of my disk? I want it to just ignore that it exists.
By the by, I'm already using XFCE rather than KDE because on the last boot the box hung after displaying the pretty compiz fusion logo, leaving me with a movable cursor and nothing more.
As it is, it boots appallingly slowly and I've yet to get a desktop I can interact with, only reaching the 'I can see it, I can move my cursor, but the only clicking happening is from the dying disk.
The disk contains a (now corrupt) install of some previous linux distro, and I'm trying to use a Knoppix 5.3 DVD (Linux Magazine cover disc).
<edit>I've even tried it with noswap nofstab failsafe, and still the hdd clunks away... </edit>
Solution:
I'm down to trying to actually remove the offending disk, but that will need a mini screwdriver and acceptance of defeat.
Any thoughts?
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can try some combination of cheatcodes but you will probably fail because if you disable the drive controller you will also most likely disable the CD/DVD drive and Knoppix will fail to load.
Here is the link to the cheatcodes:
http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...cheatcodes.txt
-

Originally Posted by
cbagger01
You can try some combination of cheatcodes but you will probably fail because if you disable the drive controller you will also most likely disable the CD/DVD drive and Knoppix will fail to load.
Here is the link to the cheatcodes:
http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...cheatcodes.txt
If your bios can, try to boot with an usb version of knoppix.
Use dmesg to see where the erros comes from
Max
Similar Threads
-
By lowhweekiat in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-19-2007, 05:36 AM
-
By eekarum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-01-2004, 08:08 AM
-
By paddyponchero in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-15-2003, 03:47 PM
-
By displaced in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-30-2003, 10:50 PM
-
By Maverik in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2003, 03:25 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Box Set 18 Disks
$114.99

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 OEM Bundle Complete Set 3.5" Floppy Disks SEALED
$34.99

Vintage AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Socket 462 CPU & Zalman CNPS7000-Cu & Copper Cooler
$75.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Computer Travel Bag Tote Shoulder Side Bag with Strap
$125.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working
$55.55

Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive
$114.88