Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hard Drive no longer mounts

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2

    Hard Drive no longer mounts

    I have a hard drive which has failed and I am attempting to recover some files prior to replacing the HD. I made a bootable CD and was able to get Knoppix to load successfully. It recognized my HD (both partitions) and my USB external drive. I copied a couple of files over and it appeared to be working well. I had to stop and shut-down, however, after starting this process. Now when I load Knoppix again, it does not recognize the partitions as it did previously. It only shows the "c" drive. This drive will not mount or open. The message is something along the lines of not being able to recognize the file system and one is not designated.

    Any idea if there are other options I can try to gain access to these files again?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31
    If you have important files to recover you should buy an HD of the same size o bigger than the broken one and instead to try to mount the partitions make a bitstream copy of the whole HD with ddrescue.

    AFTER that you can try to:

    fix the mbr with testdisk if you have an mbr problem
    repair the filesystem with fsck.xxx if you have a problem with the filesystem (gparted can do that, even with ntfs, and as a gui).
    recover files with foremost, scalpel, photorec

    It is important to leave the faulty HD unplugged until you have the new one for the copy.


    Cheers

    Max

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2

    RE: Hard Drive no longer mounts

    Max,

    Thank you for the reply and ideas.

    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the best way for me to connect/access my broken HD once I replace it with a new one?
    Can I make the bitstream copy of the hard-drive like you are suggesting to an external storage drive?

    I should have provided more information previously - I am using a Toshiba Satellite P25-S477 laptop with WinXP.

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31

    Re: RE: Hard Drive no longer mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by wfran123
    Max,

    Thank you for the reply and ideas.

    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the best way for me to connect/access my broken HD once I replace it with a new one?
    Can I make the bitstream copy of the hard-drive like you are suggesting to an external storage drive?

    I should have provided more information previously - I am using a Toshiba Satellite P25-S477 laptop with WinXP.

    Thank you.
    Hi,

    hd adaptors are cheap you can by one according to your hd model (ide or sata) an plug it in a desktop computer, better to connect it directly to the desktop motherboard without an usb/sata/ide converter.
    Then you can boot the desktop pc with knoppix and make the bitstream copy in the desktop pc's hd with ddrescue.
    If the desktop pc's hd is too small or there isn't enought room you can buy/land another hd (ide/sata), connect to the desktop pc' motherboard a make the copy there. (Just to be extra safe you can disconnect the desktop pc's original hd).
    Onother way could be an external box usb/firewire or a nas. I think the safest way is the first one, see the this post:
    :
    http://www.nabble.com/ddrescue-and-n....html#a9360272

    If you want to make other copies of the bitstream image (this could be a good idea..) remember to produce an md5sum of the original copy and check that the other copy has the same md5 ( md5sum image_file > md5sum.xt ), after the copy ( for not to stress the hd before you have the clone..) you can try to make an md5sum of the hd too ( md5sum /dev/xxx).

Similar Threads

  1. Hard drive no longer shows on desktop
    By Kirk-out in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
  2. SCSI drive always mounts as read only.
    By jafiwam in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 08:45 PM
  3. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  4. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  5. USB drive no longer detected.
    By jynxdaddy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 07:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - Yoga 7a 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7a 2-in-1 16" 2K LCD Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen AI 7 445 20...

$849.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga GEN 6 2 in 1 Touch i7-1185G7 3.0GHz 32GB 512GB SSD W11P picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga GEN 6 2 in 1 Touch i7-1185G7 3.0GHz 32GB 512GB SSD W11P

$398.00



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo ThinkPad P53 Laptop Intel Core i7 9850H 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P T1000 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad P53 Laptop Intel Core i7 9850H 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P T1000

$279.99



Lenovo THINKPAD L15 GEN 4 15.6

Lenovo THINKPAD L15 GEN 4 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$327.00