Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Dependencies?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2

    Dependencies?

    Please have pity on a beginner! I have Knoppix 5.3.1 installed on my hard drive and things generally are running fine. My problem is that I can't seem to install any new programs. Whether using Kpackage or rpm through root shell, I always get a long list of failed dependencies. The thing is, I am pretty sure some of these dependencies are actually present. For example, I tried to install the Flash plugin for Firefox (I did manage to get Firefox installed and running). among the missing dependencies reported was "/bin/sh is needed by flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386". That folder is definitely present. I'm downloading the rpm package to /home/username/tmp: does the package need to be in a particular location to be installed?

    If this sound too hopelessly clueless, could someone please recommend a good source for such basic information? All of the FAQs, etc. I've looked at, and I have looked at quite a few, just say something like download the package and run rpm -Uvh packagename or some such. I tried installing Yum, as it claims to deal with dependency issues automatically, but the package installer had the same problem with dependencies for Yum itself, so no help there.

    Thanks for any help you can give.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Use synaptic package manager to install programs, Knoppix uses debian packages (dpkg). RPM files are for rpm based fistros like Suse and Redhat so its possible you are downloading files for another distribution, not knoppix

Similar Threads

  1. How to correct the KDE 4.3-2 Dependencies
    By gonzalezmfrank in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM
  2. Apt-get tab-autocompletion and dependencies broken <help
    By monkymind in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
  3. broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 06:45 AM
  4. needed help for programs dependencies, thanks
    By hittozu in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:48 AM
  5. apt-get Dependencies for kdevelop xlibs-pic
    By code-pupil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



Vintage Apple USB Puck Mouse Model M4848 Grape Purple Tested picture

Vintage Apple USB Puck Mouse Model M4848 Grape Purple Tested

$49.99



Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle picture

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle

$49.99



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed picture

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed

$125.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested picture

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested

$210.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99