-
Is it possible to make a CD that isn't compressed?
For, and older comp, so it runns smother?
-
Senior Member
registered user
will it ? old machine usually also comes with slower CD-ROM which may mean even worse. However, it is by all means possible but you have to do the modifications yourself.
You need to put the plain looback driver(and losetup) in initrd
change the line of associating cloop to the big file with losetup instead
From this point, everything is just the same. Now, how are you going to fit the uncompressed image(I believe close to 2G) into a CDROM is beyond me.
-
Senior Member
registered user
garyng is right. An uncompressed version of Knoppix would actually run slower. The biggest bottleneck that you find in running a live CD is the CD read access times. Because of this using a compressed fs will speed things up. Most likely Knoppix is running slowly because of your general system. If you want to try out an uncompressed live CD though, you can try out demo linux.
-
Well, I want a linux that will run as smoth as a babys bottom on my P2 233MHz system.
I really just want some internet browsers (links and mozzilla), utilities, some arcade games, and a non-kde/gnome desktop/wm.
Then, I thinkI'll run it from that comps harddrive.
Edit: How hard is it to what you said?
-
Senior Member
registered user
That isn't too difficult. In fact, I used KNOPPIX as the springboard and now running my own Woody+XFree86 4.3, off my notebook's VFAT partition. The whole thing is 200M uncompressed, throw in a lightweight WM and Mozilla, and you are almost there. Now I have no idea of games as I don't play games througout my PC history(only a few moments with tetris and mind sweeper).
-
Um. so I should start by remaster an already small remaster. But which one should I use?
How would I change the wm though? And what wm should I use?
-
Senior Member
registered user
you may try to see if Morphix lightweight will suit you instead of doing yourself, if you are not familiar with linux and stuff.
Similar Threads
-
By Swedishborgie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 06:05 AM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-15-2005, 11:51 PM
-
By zorxd in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 02:13 AM
-
By rex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 04:17 AM
-
By SillyFly in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

Retro Working Macintosh SE SE30 Analog Board 820-0206-B 630-0147 w/Power Supply
$107.95

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$100.00

DOS Joystick Gameport to USB Converter - Adapter (NEW, 3-axis, 2-button)
$49.95

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00