Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: can't mount SATA hard disk -special device /dev/sda0 does no

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21

    can't mount SATA hard disk -special device /dev/sda0 does no

    Hello,
    I have a HD install of knoppix and I can't mount a serial ATA (SATA) hard disk. I created an extra /mnt/sda0 directory and
    tried mount /dev/sda0 /mnt/sda0 and received the
    "special device /dev/sda0 does not exist"
    error message. Now, is it supposed to be a sd0 or sd1? I only have one SATA hard disk and many parallel ATA ones that correctly mount.

    I read some posts about some SATA BIOS options over at:
    http://<a href="http://www.knoppix.n...hp?p=47132</a>. What are they?

    Also, how do I get knoppix to tell me the kernel version?

    Ideas please?
    Frank

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21
    Also, what is /dev/sr1 supposed to be? It is giving me a CD-ROM drive on a parallel ATA which is controlled by an extra add on PCI card IDE controller.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21
    I include my lspci -v ouput:

    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8KNXP motherboard (875P)
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    	Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 64
    	Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
    	I/O behind bridge: 0000a000-0000afff
    	Memory behind bridge: f8000000-f9ffffff
    	Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0000000-f7ffffff
    
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000/8KNXP motherboard
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    	I/O ports at bc00 [size=32]
    
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard (865PE)
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    	I/O ports at b000 [size=32]
    
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard (865PE)
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    	I/O ports at b400 [size=32]
    
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard (865PE)
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    	I/O ports at b800 [size=32]
    
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard (865PE)
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
    	Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    	Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=32
    	I/O behind bridge: 00007000-00009fff
    	Memory behind bridge: fa000000-fbffffff
    	Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 50000000-500fffff
    
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
    
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard (865PE)
    	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    	I/O ports at <unassigned>
    	I/O ports at <unassigned>
    	I/O ports at <unassigned>
    	I/O ports at <unassigned>
    	I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
    
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard (865PE)
    	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 22
    	I/O ports at 1400 [size=32]
    
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000/8KNXP motherboard
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    	I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
    	I/O ports at dc00 [size=64]
    	Memory at fc001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    	Memory at fc002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R200 QL [Radeon 8500 LE] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    	Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 8500
    	Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
    	Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    	I/O ports at a000 [size=256]
    	Memory at f9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    	[virtual] Expansion ROM at f8000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    02:01.0 Serial controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava DSerial-PCI Port A (prog-if 02 [16550])
    	Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 23
    	I/O ports at 7000 [size=8]
    
    02:01.1 Serial controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava DSerial-PCI Port B (prog-if 02 [16550])
    	Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 23
    	I/O ports at 7400 [size=8]
    
    02:02.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. PCI0680 Ultra ATA-133 Host Controller (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. Winic W-680 (Silicon Image 680 based)
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
    	I/O ports at 7800 [size=8]
    	I/O ports at 7c00 [size=4]
    	I/O ports at 8000 [size=8]
    	I/O ports at 8400 [size=4]
    	I/O ports at 8800 [size=16]
    	Memory at fb006000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    	[virtual] Expansion ROM at 50000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    02:03.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
    	Subsystem: 3Com Corp, Modem Division Unknown device 00d7
    	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 18
    	I/O ports at 8c00 [size=8]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device 3013
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20
    	Memory at fb004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	I/O ports at 9000 [size=64]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31
    Try with cat /proc/partitions to see how knoppix found your sata disk, maybe sd0 isn't right.

    Ciao

    Max

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    94

    Re: can't mount SATA hard disk -special device /dev/sda0 doe

    i'd be giving /dev/hdX a whirl instead of sdX.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for your replies!

    The cat /proc/partitions gave me /dev/hdd, /dev/jhdd1 /dev/hdd2 /dev/hdd3 /dev/hdd5. There is no mention of sd.. at all.

    The hdd1 through 5 looks like the parallel ATA hard disk. It is supposed to have one dos parition, one ext3, one linux swap, so that is fine. The SATA hard disk is supposed to have one DOS and one ext3. My home directory is supposed to be mounted on the SATA. The size of /dev/hdd looks correct for the DOS and ext3, which were made the same size. If I try to mount it, it says busy or already mounted. So, I still have a DOS partition that I can't access.

    Ideas?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by transistortoaster
    Thanks for your replies!

    The cat /proc/partitions gave me /dev/hdd, /dev/jhdd1 /dev/hdd2 /dev/hdd3 /dev/hdd5. There is no mention of sd.. at all.

    The hdd1 through 5 looks like the parallel ATA hard disk. It is supposed to have one dos parition, one ext3, one linux swap, so that is fine. The SATA hard disk is supposed to have one DOS and one ext3. My home directory is supposed to be mounted on the SATA. The size of /dev/hdd looks correct for the DOS and ext3, which were made the same size. If I try to mount it, it says busy or already mounted. So, I still have a DOS partition that I can't access.

    Ideas?
    There are known problems with the sata driver for the kernel that was used in knoppix 5.1.1 and Intel SATA controllers. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

    If you are using 5.1.1, there are solutions:

    1) Upgrade the kernel version on your hard drive installation via APT/Synaptic/Kpackage, or compile a new kernel from source.
    2) Upgrade to 5.3.1 or downgrade to 5.0.1
    3) Try "Legacy OS install mode" or whatever it is called in your BIOS to have your SATA controller pretend to be a PATA controller.
    4) Keep rebooting your computer until the drive appears. It might show up every 3rd o 4th boot.

    Good Luck.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    To list your devices try:

    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab<ENTER>
    You should recieve a list similar to this:

    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    /proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
    /sys /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
    /dev/shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
    /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/fd0 auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    /dev/hda /media/hda auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0 ***This is my ntfs drive***

    Hope this helps,
    Condor

Similar Threads

  1. unable to mount device when trying to access hard drive.
    By kacey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 12:15 AM
  2. Cannot Mount Hard Disk
    By Varkie in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 06:06 PM
  3. Writing to hard disk (and USB device) from KDE - New User
    By saorstat_eireann in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 08:22 AM
  4. Can I mount a 2nd hard disk if BIOS can't detect it?
    By Blisset in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 06:50 PM
  5. sata hard drive won't mount ...
    By fourthirtysix in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER  picture

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER

$39.99



Cordless Air Duster Vacuum 3 in 1 110000RPM 14500pa HEPA Handheld Keyboard picture

Cordless Air Duster Vacuum 3 in 1 110000RPM 14500pa HEPA Handheld Keyboard

$63.99



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99