Quote Originally Posted by curejr
...... configured to 5 bps 8N1 using no flow control. ...... Since the byte
sent is also received at the same time I was expecting that both operations (sending
and receiving) should take 2 or 3 seconds..
Boy, I've never worked with anything lower than 110 baud, didn't know that you could configure any serial ports for slower than that. Glad to hear that you can though. I'm not sure why you say say the byte sent is received at the same time. Of course, the byte sent is indeed received by the OBD equipment when it is sent, but it looks to me like you have to send some command bytes and then the OBD equipment get around to responding, so from the computer's prospective it sends, waits, and then receives data. And clearly with any equipment running at 5bps, speed isn't much of a priority. I'm hard pressed to understand why it's running that slow, even in a potentially electrically noisy automotive environment, and I wonder if it isn't even deliberately talking slow to look like it's doing more than it really is. From what you posted, it looks to me like it's working exactly as intended.