Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix-STD won't boot on laptop - will boot on desktop

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    Knoppix-STD won't boot on laptop - will boot on desktop

    I'm trying to boot Knoppix-STD on a toshiba tecra 8100. The disk goes in I restart and it keeps booting to Windows 2000.
    Knoppix-STD works fine on the desktop.

    Also Knoppix 5.1.1 live cd works on the laptop.

    Reason is I'm trying to get chntpw.deb to run and I can't. Knoppix 5.1.1 live cd doesn't have that, since Knoppix-STD won't work I'm trying to use knoppix 5.1.1.

    I've mounted both drives and tried to extract the chntpw file from the package on my usb. When I go to run chntpw. it says :bash :chntpw is not a file.
    I'm doing something wrong. Can someone please give me some direction. I'm running this all from root@tty1[]#

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    Partially done

    Okay had a bit of trouble but I think I got most of it. Still can't get the STD cd to work so I worked with 5.1.1

    After I had extracted out the utility from the usb drive. ( I had some trouble mounting /dev/hda1 kept saying nonempty drive but the /dev/sda1 was no problem ) could have been because the usb is FAT and hda1 is NTFS, not sure but anyhow I extracted chntpw.deb like this:

    First had to convert the .deb to .tgz and then put the utility into the /usr/sbin sub directory

    # alien -to-tgz chntpw_<ver>.deb
    # tar xvzf chntpw<ver>.tgz /usr/sbin/chntpw

    Then I could run it. I didn't realize it needed to be in the /usr/sbin directory to function on the command lines. Anyways I was successful and was able to reset my Windows 2000 password on my old laptop.

Similar Threads

  1. I can boot to console but not to desktop
    By convergys2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
  2. Knoppix Live CD will not boot on my laptop
    By redbarono9 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 05:09 AM
  3. My laptop does not boot from knoppix cd
    By method in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 09:48 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 08:45 AM
  5. Dell Laptop no boot to Knoppix
    By embsupafly in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 12:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs picture

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs

$950.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Commodore Amiga 500 Motherboard Rev 5, A500 #548 (As-Is) picture

Commodore Amiga 500 Motherboard Rev 5, A500 #548 (As-Is)

$64.75



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T) picture

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)

$329.98



Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz picture

Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz

$300.00



OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT picture

OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT

$329.95



68000 CPU Amiga 2000 Slot Adapter picture

68000 CPU Amiga 2000 Slot Adapter

$25.00