Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problem booting live cd

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    Problem booting live cd

    I am having trouble booting from the live cd. The computer I am trying to boot it on has windows xp installed. I have already changed the boot sequence to boot from the cd-rom first but it still boots windows. It works fine when I boot it on my other computer which has 98se installed. Am I doing something wrong? If so, WHAT?!?!?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Problem booting live cd

    Quote Originally Posted by Linux Man
    ... It works fine when I boot it on my other computer which has 98se installed. Am I doing something wrong? ...
    Knoppix couldn't care less what OS you have installed, so that is not the issue. You didn't give us much else to go on. We don't know anything about the computers, their configurations, or much of anything else, including what version of Knoppix you are talking about. Since we have absolutely no clues, I'll take a wild guess and say that you are trying to boot a DVD in a computer that only has a CD drive (but that's just a theory™). Alternately, you may have made the disc by a high speed burn, which is well known to cause problems reading on some drives but work fine (or at least seem to work) on others. You are going to have to tell us more if you want better answers.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8
    Doubt this will help much as it sounds like your not even getting to the knoppix boot screen. But on my pc after the boot screen it would simply go black and do nothing, to aid that I had to use the cheat code -noapic. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    It is Windows XP Home Edition sp3, Dell Dimension 3000, Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 512 MB of Ram, 2.99 GHz. I burned it with Imgburn at write speed MAX. And I don't even get to the knoppix 5.1.1 boot screen, it just goes to the windows xp boot screen.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux Man
    ... I burned it with Imgburn at write speed MAX. ....
    I suggest that you try burning another disc at 4x speed. And if you have any doubts about the merit of this advice, I suggest that you should use a rewriteable media rather than write-once media (that way you will not waste anything if this isn't the issue, and CDRW media (if we are talking about a CD) has a different reflectivity than write-once media and so the drive's gain is changed, which may also help problem reading). I don't have any experience with Imgburn, but if it has an option to verify after writing I suggest that you enable this and let it do a verify pass (or if you have Nero, use that, burn at 4x, and enable the verify option). You say your disc worked on a different system so the md5 checksum is most likely correct, but I don't want to skip over the value of doing a simple md5 checksum on the ISO before doing a burn (we see a lot of bad ISO downloads from the mirrors, although not from BitTorrent downloads). All of this is covered in the downloading FAQ.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    11

    Picky DVD drives

    CD/DVD drives are picky with the media. I've got a CD drive and DVD drive installed on the same PC. Burnt a Knoppix and SystemRescueCD CD by the CD drive, InfraRecorder at 8x speed. The SystemRescueCD boots
    fine on both drives, but the DVD drive doesn't accept Knoppix CD at all!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5

    It still doesn't work

    I tried to burn it at speed 4x but it still does not come up to the boot screen.

    Edit: Okay got it to work, had to put it in the dvd drive. But when I boot it up it everything is bigger than if I boot it up in the 98. The icons and taskbar are bigger.

Similar Threads

  1. Live CD Booting Questions
    By aerowing in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
  2. Trouble Booting to the Live CD...
    By wgh in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 03:40 AM
  3. booting live-cd
    By muppchan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 05:20 AM
  4. Booting from Live CD Problem
    By Simpson in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 01:01 PM
  5. booting live cd...
    By Grand Styolz Empire in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00