Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: actually Shutdown problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    18

    actually Shutdown problem

    Hi,

    I have a home brew mini tower PC with an Intel Celeron on a BioStar MB 1GB memory and two hard drives with a KNOPPIX iso on hda1 & persistant image on the other, both NTFS.

    I boot from the KNOPPIX 5.3.1 DVD using 'knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/K*.iso xmodule=radeon home=scan config=scsn ... ' to free up my DVD recorderdrive.

    My screen on shutdown looks like what this person got on his laptop:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28833

    What can I do to make the shutdown readable? I have to guess when to press <enter> so the machine will cut off. I cannot tell if there are any error messages.

    I have a Radeon graphics card, here is my lspci, the display device is at the bottom.

    Code:
    lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
    00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
    00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
    00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT890 Host Bridge
    00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
    00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
    00:08.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
    00:0a.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8111 PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge (rev 21)
    00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
    00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UniChrome Pro IGP (rev 01)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]
    02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series] (Secondary)
    Perhaps I do not know how to shutdown properly. Should I right click on the KDE desktop and select 'Logout KNOPPIX' > "shutdown"? Or some other way?

    And quite often fsck runs when I reboot.

    Thanks in advance,

    John

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    18
    Shutdown is still a problem. I CANNOT read the screen. I get video hash.
    I DO hear the soundbite Initiating shutdown sequence. and the screen changes a few times but it is still hash.
    Finally after the screen is still for 30 seconds or so I press <Enter> and the machine shuts off but I still cannot read anything.
    The start up at boot is in good plain text.

    Where does this hash come from?

    John

Similar Threads

  1. Booting problem: monitor shutdown
    By frango83 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 08:21 AM
  2. Shutdown Problem with 3.4/5-10:Please Help!(SOLVED)
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 08:30 AM
  3. Live CD Shutdown Problem
    By ebrke in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 11:20 PM
  4. boot problem - immediate shutdown
    By Area Man in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 10:27 PM
  5. shutdown problem
    By alekhine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99