-
Senior Member
registered user
ssh public key authentication and clusters?
My students and I are interested in setting up a parallel java (PJ) cluster (http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ark/pj.shtml). These are my advanced independent study students who just spent a year working with MPI & OpenMosix using C & C++. MPI is getting a bit dated and the OpenMosix project just closed, so they want experience with a new kind of cluster/grid paradigm.
Anyway, we've complied with all the installation requirements for PJ (http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ark/pj/doc/ed...e-summary.html middle of page) except for the following:
Furthermore, it must be possible to do an SSH remote login from the frontend processor to each backend processor without the user having to type a password. This is done using public key authentication. SSH must have public key authentication enabled. Each user must set up SSH public and private keys in his or her account. For further information, refer to the SSH documentation.
I have sshd running, but I don't have any experience with "public key authentication." Anyone out there have any suggestions or tips for this?
TIA,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
BUMP!
OK, I figured it out. I simply started sshd and created a login on each PC with the same userid and passwd. I logged into each and issued the following commandline:
This created a file called id_rsa.pub in the hidden .ssh folder of each user's home dir. Then I scp'ed these files to each machine (with diff filenames) to cut and past one large file called authorized_keys2 and that's it! I can now ssh to and from each PC using that userid and no passwd. In fact, as I was logged into each PC with the same userid, I don't think I even need the userid to ssh or fish!
See: http://www.petefreitag.com/item/532.cfm
HTH Some1,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
Correct, instead of fish://[email protected] in konqueror with a passwd, I can fish without a passwd.
Also, I can simply fish://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - no need for a userid or passwd as long as I'm using the same userid on each PC.
You just have to have the one userid in common on all PCs, sshd running and the correct authorized_keys2 file on each home dir. Just log into one with a passwd normally, then fish or ssh away to your heart's content without userids or passwds!
HTH Some1 even though my application may be a bit unusual,
AJG
PS: any1 else out there setting up linux clusters?
Similar Threads
-
By Gnome949 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2008, 11:46 PM
-
By ryanpq in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-14-2005, 05:35 PM
-
By bjwatson in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-03-2005, 04:30 AM
-
By bjwatson in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:20 PM
-
By pinoylinux in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win11 Pro
$289.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$222.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch
$379.00

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50