Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: ssh public key authentication and clusters?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    ssh public key authentication and clusters?

    My students and I are interested in setting up a parallel java (PJ) cluster (http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ark/pj.shtml). These are my advanced independent study students who just spent a year working with MPI & OpenMosix using C & C++. MPI is getting a bit dated and the OpenMosix project just closed, so they want experience with a new kind of cluster/grid paradigm.

    Anyway, we've complied with all the installation requirements for PJ (http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ark/pj/doc/ed...e-summary.html middle of page) except for the following:

    Furthermore, it must be possible to do an SSH remote login from the frontend processor to each backend processor without the user having to type a password. This is done using public key authentication. SSH must have public key authentication enabled. Each user must set up SSH public and private keys in his or her account. For further information, refer to the SSH documentation.
    I have sshd running, but I don't have any experience with "public key authentication." Anyone out there have any suggestions or tips for this?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    BUMP!

    OK, I figured it out. I simply started sshd and created a login on each PC with the same userid and passwd. I logged into each and issued the following commandline:

    Code:
    ssh-keygen -t rsa
    This created a file called id_rsa.pub in the hidden .ssh folder of each user's home dir. Then I scp'ed these files to each machine (with diff filenames) to cut and past one large file called authorized_keys2 and that's it! I can now ssh to and from each PC using that userid and no passwd. In fact, as I was logged into each PC with the same userid, I don't think I even need the userid to ssh or fish!

    See: http://www.petefreitag.com/item/532.cfm

    HTH Some1,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Correct, instead of fish://[email protected] in konqueror with a passwd, I can fish without a passwd.

    Also, I can simply fish://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - no need for a userid or passwd as long as I'm using the same userid on each PC.

    You just have to have the one userid in common on all PCs, sshd running and the correct authorized_keys2 file on each home dir. Just log into one with a passwd normally, then fish or ssh away to your heart's content without userids or passwds!

    HTH Some1 even though my application may be a bit unusual,
    AJG

    PS: any1 else out there setting up linux clusters?

Similar Threads

  1. Parallel Knoppix programs for clusters
    By Gnome949 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 11:46 PM
  2. Symphony OS - First Public Release
    By ryanpq in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 05:35 PM
  3. OpenSSI Clusters 1.2.0+ for KNOPPIX 3.6
    By bjwatson in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 04:30 AM
  4. OpenSSI Clusters 1.2.0+ for KNOPPIX 3.6
    By bjwatson in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:20 PM
  5. knoppix for public pc
    By pinoylinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 12:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



Intel Core i7-11700KF 3.60GHz 8 Core SRKNN 16 Thread LGA 1200 USED picture

Intel Core i7-11700KF 3.60GHz 8 Core SRKNN 16 Thread LGA 1200 USED

$180.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99