Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix v5.3.1 will NOT boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    16

    Knoppix v5.3.1 will NOT boot

    I burned the .iso with a HP DVD Writer 840 in Nero 6.6.0.13 at 4x (that should be slow, since it took 13 min) on a DVD+R. I tried the disc on two different computers each get stuck after "Read-only DVD system successfully merged with read-write /ramdisk." Here is what is displayed beyond that:

    Code:
    cloop: zlib decompression error -3 uncompressing block 131 131072/0/5284/0 2568872-2574156
    end_request: I/O error, dev cloop0, sector 33668
    ISOFS: Unable to read i-node block
    /init: line 1013 cannot create /var/run/utmp: nonexistent directory
    Kernel panic: not syncing: Attempted to kill unit!
    Anyone have a clue what that means? If it burned wrong, i'll try MagicISO and see if it makes a difference. Other then that, because it did NOT boot on 2 separate pc's, i could try a cheatcode, but which one?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If you got as far as you got you must have made the choice correctly to burn the ISO as an image, so I doubt that magiciso will change anything. I'm not clear on why it's not booting either. Did you check the option for Nero to do a verification pass after the burn? (Hint: the answer I'm looking for is "yes".) And did you verify the md5 checksum of the ISO before burning?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    16
    I just checked the md5 with MD5Summer and it found 1 error "Checksum did not match." Does that mean the .iso is corrupt? I downloaded it via BitTorrent because it was faster (over 300 seeders) I live in U.S., and ALL the mirrors there seem to be down (at least , right now ). BTW, what is the md5 file for?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by klerg
    I just checked the md5 with MD5Summer and it found 1 error "Checksum did not match." Does that mean the .iso is corrupt? I downloaded it via BitTorrent because it was faster (over 300 seeders) I live in U.S., and ALL the mirrors there seem to be down (at least , right now ). BTW, what is the md5 file for?
    The md5 is a checksum of the file. It's an all or nothing thing, there can be a match (no errors) or a failure. What you have is a failure, there is no information there about how bad the file is. The md5 is to check the integrity of the file.

    I frequently got bad downloads from the mirrors, but I have never had a bad download from Bittorrent. It should not happen, as Bittorrent includes it's own checks in each block and will redownload the block from elsewhere if it is bad. But I do know of one case where a friend had a corrupt file. It turns out that that was an operator error - he terminated the download as soon as the progress indicator reached 100% rather than letting the process actually run to completion. Whatever happened, the good news is that Bittorrent, on starting up again, should check that file for you and fix it. The fix should be pretty quick, as it likely will only need to download a block or two of the file to get a good file. I suggest restarting Bittorrent, letting it verify and repair the file, and then verifying the result with the md5 test again. It will likely resolve your problem.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage 6Bay Enclosure G2U picture

Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage 6Bay Enclosure G2U

$129.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00