Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: IM client on linux ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    IM client on linux ?

    To continue my quest for a minimalist distribution, I am now moving on my next area, IM client. Is gaim the answer ? I tried to browse on its web site but there is a question that I can't find an answer. Can it support audio/video(through webcam) when talking to the other side like MSN messenger/yahoo/icq/aim ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: IM client on linux ?

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    To continue my quest for a minimalist distribution, I am now moving on my next area, IM client. Is gaim the answer ? I tried to browse on its web site but there is a question that I can't find an answer. Can it support audio/video(through webcam) when talking to the other side like MSN messenger/yahoo/icq/aim ?
    I don't believe so. Sounds like you are looking for Gnomemeeting. With Gnomemeeting you can also communicate with people using Netmeeting on Windows. I did see the other day on the PSI website that they are trying to get audio support working for PSI, but I don't believe they are there yet.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Thanks. I have looked at gnomemeeting too. The problem is, can it seemlessly integrated into the IM client ? gnomemeeting may be every bit as good as other window based solution but if the other side is using MSN Messenger(or any other IM client) and want to initial an audio/video conversation, boom a show stopper for the linux side.

    May be wine is the solution but that is some wonderland.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Thanks. I have looked at gnomemeeting too. The problem is, can it seemlessly integrated into the IM client ? gnomemeeting may be every bit as good as other window based solution but if the other side is using MSN Messenger(or any other IM client) and want to initial an audio/video conversation, boom a show stopper for the linux side.

    May be wine is the solution but that is some wonderland.
    I believe that it is interoperable with other clients that support the H.323 protocol (all those that support video and realtime audio should fit the bill). You can check out more here: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 04:26 PM
  2. Knoppix-dist with Netware Linux Client
    By ctav01 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 01:34 AM
  3. newbie: network a linux client to a windows server?
    By mementomike in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 10:54 AM
  4. [b]Boot-Disk/CD for Linux Terminalserver Client[/b]
    By siegenthaler in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 04:26 AM
  5. Novel Client for Linux
    By LordHarshmage in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 12:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed picture

NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed

$89.99



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



Yealink SIP-T46G IP Phone - Used picture

Yealink SIP-T46G IP Phone - Used

$33.00