-
Senior Member
registered user
IM client on linux ?
To continue my quest for a minimalist distribution, I am now moving on my next area, IM client. Is gaim the answer ? I tried to browse on its web site but there is a question that I can't find an answer. Can it support audio/video(through webcam) when talking to the other side like MSN messenger/yahoo/icq/aim ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: IM client on linux ?

Originally Posted by
garyng
To continue my quest for a minimalist distribution, I am now moving on my next area, IM client. Is gaim the answer ? I tried to browse on its web site but there is a question that I can't find an answer. Can it support audio/video(through webcam) when talking to the other side like MSN messenger/yahoo/icq/aim ?
I don't believe so. Sounds like you are looking for Gnomemeeting. With Gnomemeeting you can also communicate with people using Netmeeting on Windows. I did see the other day on the PSI website that they are trying to get audio support working for PSI, but I don't believe they are there yet.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks. I have looked at gnomemeeting too. The problem is, can it seemlessly integrated into the IM client ? gnomemeeting may be every bit as good as other window based solution but if the other side is using MSN Messenger(or any other IM client) and want to initial an audio/video conversation, boom a show stopper for the linux side.
May be wine is the solution but that is some wonderland.
-

Originally Posted by
garyng
Thanks. I have looked at gnomemeeting too. The problem is, can it seemlessly integrated into the IM client ? gnomemeeting may be every bit as good as other window based solution but if the other side is using MSN Messenger(or any other IM client) and want to initial an audio/video conversation, boom a show stopper for the linux side.
May be wine is the solution but that is some wonderland.
I believe that it is interoperable with other clients that support the H.323 protocol (all those that support video and realtime audio should fit the bill). You can check out more here: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 04:26 PM
-
By ctav01 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-05-2004, 01:34 AM
-
By mementomike in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 10:54 AM
-
By siegenthaler in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 04:26 AM
-
By LordHarshmage in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 12:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box
$299.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$189.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00