-
OS not found: external HD install problems
So I have an older laptop with a burnt out dvd-rom and a new hd. I bought an enclosure and decided to put a knoppix on it to get started. I got another laptop, downloaded the latest dvd distro and got started.
I launched knoppix-installer and went through all the settings just fine. It found the hd just fine. I have a 6G ext2 partition and 1G swap at the beginning of the drive, the rest is unallocated. Tried the installing grub to the MBR (through the setup) and keep getting the same error. I ran cfdisk and noticed that it didnt have a boot flag. When I tried adding it I got a message saying that I couldnt.
I searched the forums as best I could and didn't find anything similar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this MBR working? I tried debian and knoppix install options, same thing.
-
and keep getting the same error.
What is the error ? always post any and all error messages.
it didnt have a boot flag
If you have Grub installed into the MBR, a boot flag is not needed.
I bought an enclosure and decided to put a knoppix on it to get started
Is the enclosure for the hdd or dvd drive ?
-
The error was 'cannot make partition bootable' in cfdisk when I pressed b to give it the boot flag.
The enclosure if for the disk. Im on my wifes laptop now, my laptop dvd-rom is burnt out. Im running knoppix from her laptop and trying to isntall on the enclosed disk, then returning the disk to my laptop.
-
Tried the installing grub to the MBR (through the setup) and keep getting the same error.
What is this error ?
Knoppix is not the best linux to install on a hdd.
Check the BIOS setup and be sure that Virus protection (the name could be different) is turned off. If it is on the BIOS will not permit writting to the hdd's MBR.
Similar Threads
-
By fazzk in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-26-2006, 06:41 AM
-
By Galileo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:31 AM
-
By Cuddles in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 02:19 AM
-
By jaconitroso in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99