Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: OS not found: external HD install problems

  1. #1

    OS not found: external HD install problems

    So I have an older laptop with a burnt out dvd-rom and a new hd. I bought an enclosure and decided to put a knoppix on it to get started. I got another laptop, downloaded the latest dvd distro and got started.

    I launched knoppix-installer and went through all the settings just fine. It found the hd just fine. I have a 6G ext2 partition and 1G swap at the beginning of the drive, the rest is unallocated. Tried the installing grub to the MBR (through the setup) and keep getting the same error. I ran cfdisk and noticed that it didnt have a boot flag. When I tried adding it I got a message saying that I couldnt.

    I searched the forums as best I could and didn't find anything similar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this MBR working? I tried debian and knoppix install options, same thing.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    and keep getting the same error.
    What is the error ? always post any and all error messages.

    it didnt have a boot flag
    If you have Grub installed into the MBR, a boot flag is not needed.

    I bought an enclosure and decided to put a knoppix on it to get started
    Is the enclosure for the hdd or dvd drive ?

  3. #3
    The error was 'cannot make partition bootable' in cfdisk when I pressed b to give it the boot flag.

    The enclosure if for the disk. Im on my wifes laptop now, my laptop dvd-rom is burnt out. Im running knoppix from her laptop and trying to isntall on the enclosed disk, then returning the disk to my laptop.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    Tried the installing grub to the MBR (through the setup) and keep getting the same error.
    What is this error ?

    Knoppix is not the best linux to install on a hdd.

    Check the BIOS setup and be sure that Virus protection (the name could be different) is turned off. If it is on the BIOS will not permit writting to the hdd's MBR.

Similar Threads

  1. HELP! Problems mounting/writing to external HDD
    By fazzk in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
  2. problems mounting external drive
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 06:41 AM
  3. Problems installing Knoppix in USB External disk
    By Galileo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:31 AM
  4. usb external modem not found - help
    By Cuddles in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 02:19 AM
  5. Having problems Hayes External accura 33.6/56k Fax
    By jaconitroso in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 01:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive picture

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive

$49.00



Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD

$19.90



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99