Quote Originally Posted by simon.hibbs
My dad was trying to download Knoppix. He tried three times and every time he ended up at a google advertizer's page instead. All he needed to do was click on a link to the torrent file, but it was disguised in the text with a name that's meaningless to all but about 0.001% of the world's population, and even if you do figure out which link to click on, you need to know the knoppix version naming convention to figure out which image you want.

Can't someone make all this slightly easier for mere mortals to figure out?

Simon Hibbs
Hmmm, if the person was running Linux already, you could simply send the person a link to the download in a nice e-mail (I think this would work for someone running a M$ OS as well) - but if they were running Linux, you could actually do all the "background" searching for the download for the other person, and send them the complete wget command for the person to enter in a sudo root screen (?)

Another idea (more for the forums than a personal thing), may be set up a nice forum / post to link to the "current" download? That way, as new versions come into being, we can just link a new post to the new image download? Something like:

Current Knoppix Download Image ????

All anyone would have to do is edit the link above to match the download image that is current, and Wham-O - simple, easy, and very quick to find - again, I apologize if this may already in place, or is being thought of already - I have been away for a while... I kinda went "walk-about" (LOL)

Cuddles (aka LadyCuddles / AcidPirate)

[edit]
Ok, just saw the page to download... the "get Knoppix" one... that is painful - the ads do get in the way - I went to the BT download page first (didn't need to, I already have and use rtorrent), and then realized I wanted the Tracker link for the download... DOH!

Seeing the page, and the link to the page with the Tracker downloads on it... my guess would be a nice e-mail to someone that wanted to get the newest Knoppix download image... would just include the link to that Tracker page (especially if they already have a BitTorrent program running/installed/etc...)

That way, the end user would only need to click on your link in your e-mail message, and be right at the Tracker download page.
[end edit]