-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello,
Looking around in the knoppix forums , I would like to tell why I did put the knoppix 5.3.1 dvd onto my hard disk.
Let me start to tell you that I don't have windows from microsoft onto my PC. I do have Ubuntu installed on this new PC and are very satisfied with it.
However using "synaptic" I do not want to install too many programs for testing out different applications, everybody knows that there are a lot of them. Often you have to try, to find the one you prefer most. I regularly discover useful programs and I do not want to add and delete them on my Ubuntu system. Which is also a Debian based one.
Well here I use Knoppîx dvd which has a lot of programs installed on it. I do not install extra programs on the 5.3.1 Knoppix.
To test many multimedia programs I do need my cdrom-dvd. Also to test burning programs etc. so I did install Knoppix onto a hard disk. Grub is my friend to tell it, if I like to start Ubuntu or Knoppix.
Let me add that I installed a persistent home directory for knoppix. This to prevent that configuration files and bookmarks and so on, are lost on a reboot.
On this knoppix dvd are so many programs installed that I can live with this until a new version will be available . I will install it
and find, I hope a lot of new possibilities to try out.
In the mean time I do have my Ubuntu system the way I want it, to continue work.
Eliminating the risk to screw up the Ubuntu system with new untested programs. Before downloading something new with "Synaptic" I use it under knoppix.
I use the Knoppix dvd because it has so many applications installed and at least, this applications have been tested together on this Debian distribution. :P
Lucien.
Similar Threads
-
By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
-
By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
-
By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
-
By Jez in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
-
By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95