-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello,
As I explained before, I installed 5.3.1 more as a playground to see and experiment with a lot of programs.
However the "Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image" which I called before "persistent home" is much more than a home directory on hard disk.
I do find myself much more using the knoppix instead of the ubuntu boot system. I didn't realize before but knoppix present an ideal backup system.
The knoppix.img created by selecting the persistent disk image, was originally set by me to 170MB. I created a new one of several GB. From time to time I do make a copy : sudo cp /media/sda2/knoppix.img /media/sda3/backup.img
Experimenting with adding things now , changes this image, and if I get a problem I rename my backup.img to knoppix.img , rename the first knoppix.img and because I have in my Ubuntu, /boot/grub/menu.lst for the kernel parameter of the knoppix title the option home=scan , I am back to my previous setup.
The original knoppix system on the hard disk remains unchanged; a copy of the live dvd ,and the partition it went to with the tohd= parameter is even protected, I mean read only.
This means that taking a backup of my system is quickly done , it depends on how big you make the knoppix.img file. Do not forget that this file has to be on another partition than the tohd= partition.
This UNIONFS file system used by knoppix is a beauty.
Because I do have Ubuntu and Knoppix on my system, and able to change anything in one system using the other I feel at home with my PC.
Its a lot of fun to experiment on a system with available and installed programs, without fear.
Lucien.
:P
Similar Threads
-
By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
-
By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
-
By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
-
By Jez in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
-
By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$1090.00

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00