Let me clarify the HD install I did because I think many problems are due to mixing options.

Start by reading the first paragraph of the site

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo

Some Background information about a Knoppix HD install.

In there is said to consider the "Live_CD_Tips". If you select this Tips you go to the site

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Live_CD_Tips

I did install my knoppix 5.3.1 by using the 1.2 the 2.2 and the 3.2 headings.

* 1 Free up the CD Drive
o 1.1 toram cheat code
o 1.2 tohd cheat code
o 1.3 bootfrom cheat code
* 2 Installing Programs
o 2.1 Klik
o 2.2 Unionfs
* 3 Saving Configurations, Data and System changes
o 3.1 Save Knoppix Configuration
o 3.2 Persistent Disk Image

This type of HD install is not the full install as given in the first wiki site. But it gives me a very flexible system for my needs as a dual boot with ubuntu.

Up to now I didn't made any updates to programs distributed on the 5.3.1 dvd ; everything I added to the system has been reflected very well by UNIONFS . The KNOPPIX.IMG, created by the Persistent Disk Image, is working as good as if the writing was done into the original linux directories.

Lucien.