Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: USB External cd-rw recognized only using knoppix cd

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hmm. That's odd. I was looking at the previous output you posted from cdrecord --scanbus (scsibus1:1,0,0 100), but as Stephen has noted, try changing your entry in /etc/fstab to scd0.

    Adam

  2. #22
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30
    I changed /dev/scd1 to /dev/scd0 in /etc/fstab shut down restarted
    mount /cdrom1 mounts the cd which is in the ide-cdrom, not the usb2 cd-rw
    Same result using console or icon I created.

    Shouldn't I see a reference to the usb2 cd-rw when I enter
    KDE Control Center > Information > USB Devices?
    I only see the hubs.
    I do see the usb2 cd-rw with KDE Control Center > Information > SCSI

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bilzer
    I do see the usb2 cd-rw with KDE Control Center > Information > SCSI
    It may think it's a HD can't hurt trying to mount it as /dev/sda.

  4. #24
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30
    Tried /dev/sda then /dev/sda1 --- msgs say not valid block device

    I may try reinstall with cd-rw on, altho that requirement defeats the value of usb.

    I sure would like to know if other users with usb show attached usb devices (other than root hub) when they enter:
    KDE Control Center > Information > USB Devices
    I do not.

  5. #25
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30
    Did a reinstall with the usb2 cd-rw turned on.
    Didn't solve the problem.
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

  6. #26
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    bilzer,

    Sorry about this. I think we are a bit miffed also. If you were able to get this device to work from the cd, then keep trying. Perhaps it's something simple that we are overlooking. Best of luck.

  7. #27
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    30
    :P :P SUCCESS!
    I have 4 ports on the usb2 card. Thought I had tested them all but that got lost in testing various configurations of /etc/fstab - this one works now:
    /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom1 auto defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    along with /mnt/cdrom1
    Also, the device now shows up in KDE Control Center > Information > USB devices.
    Thanks again for your help.

  8. #28
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Good to hear you got it going good luck.

  9. #29
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Congrats. Glad you got it working. In the long run this whole excersice will prove benificial because you will have learned a bit more about how Debian opperates on your system. Again, congrats and your persistance paid off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Knoppix on an External HDD????
    By chiefreborn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 12:35 PM
  2. HDs does not recognized by Knoppix
    By NewGuy in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 03:30 AM
  3. knoppix un external usb hd
    By komplikazione in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 10:35 PM
  4. Booting knoppix off an external usb-hdd
    By orgler in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 06:52 PM
  5. Knoppix 3.3: USB stick is not recognized
    By Messiaen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99