Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Before to Install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1

    Before to Install

    Hi Dear
    Sorry my english no good

    I just turn down the DVD of Knoppix 5.3 and desire facilities for 3 questions before I have to be clarified if I can.
    1 -. Deb debian working in knoppix without problem (I asked for in the ubuntu not all. Deb debian operating in ubuntu)

    2 - as to upgrade, Knoppix 5.3 when you leave the next vercion either 5.4 or 6.0 can upgrade without problem, On the other distros that happens when the upgrade does occur some problems or changes to the system except Debian.

    3 - perhaps the most stupid question but I do get off as already mentioned the DVD knoppix 5.3 am at the Boot DVD everything works ecepto not upload to the internet, so when you install the hard drive and can climb into the Internet, do the comments by live distro I've fallen and can enter the Internet.

    PS: I make these comments for the reason that I wore Libranet distro and discontinued in 2006 and I am looking for a distro that is as easy to use but debian (Ubuntu does not interest me and that's why I did not use question # 1)
    Mepis does not see my video chipset is VIA,
    the talk in the forum and told me that I buy a video card from ATI or Nvidia at the moment and I can not, Knoppix I did not have problem with the video card but I step on the internet that his question # 3

    Thanks for read my post and sorry for any inconvenience.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Knoppix is designed as a live CD and as such has a mix of stable, unstable and experimental sources, not recommended for hard drive install unless you are an accomplished linux user.

    If you want a stable system then why not download Debian Etch and use debian proper?
    To answer your questions:

    1) If I understand your question, then yes, knoppix is debian compatible, you can use all apt-get commands including deporphan

    2) No. Knoppix will not upgrade, and even if it did something would break. Better to backup your software and do a fresh install of a newer knoppix

    3) If you install knoppix, then chose the debian option, the live install option behaves as the live cd which is why you have to configure
    internet access each time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$349.95