-
usb drive not recognized
I worked on getting some files off a bad drive on my laptop with Knoppix. I was able to create an img file on my usb drive after formatting it via knoppix - mkfs.ext3, and then I executed a dd to the image file.
When I connect the usb drive to any other system (WinXP or Vista), the drive is not recognized. The system says it wants to format the disk.
Any suggestions?
Thanx.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Windows will not read Linux based partitions such as ext3, so this partition would only be useful if you wanted to transfer the files to another Linux system.
I can suggest 2 solutions: If you insist on doing this by an external drive, format it as FAT32. One restriction that this will impose is that file sizes of 4 gig or greater will not be allowed. I have always be able to save files to external USB devices, but some people do seem to have problems with it. For backing up or data recovery, see the alternative below.
Alternately, I suggest networking two systems together and transferring the files by FTP across the network. See this post for more detailed steps to do so.
-
Well, I had to create the img file via dd, because normal methods, such as copying the files over the network, won't work. Now, you've got me thinking can I connect the laptop to the network with the usb drive attached, and then copy the image file to another machine.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I have had very good results transferring files across a network. I use FTP rather than Windows networking because Windows networking can be problematic and because it is much slower, and in some cases it might impose additional file size restrictions. I'm not clear why you have an image file made with dd, but as long as that's what you want and you know what you are doing, I don't see any problem with that.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Oh, I have no problem, with transferring files, it's just that even with Knoppix, it won't mount the drive, so I can't get to the files, which is why I chose to go with DD to see if I could get to them by creating the img file. Now comes the task of getting them from the img file I created.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Good luck with that. If you have success please report back just how you did it. I have a few Windows drives that I can't recover files from either, and there are some files out there that I would like to get back.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By Tangle Eye in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-23-2008, 07:27 AM
-
By The Rockologist in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-13-2005, 02:04 AM
-
By JugglingSuns120 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 01:08 AM
-
By m_yates in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2003, 02:11 AM
-
By jmassengill in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box
$299.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$189.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$166.49

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00