I don't know why i didn't check for this earlier - normally I use the "noatime" parameter in my /etc/fstab, and I got re-introduced to it with my Asus eeepc laptop with solid-state disks. Well, it's good for thumb-drives too.
I'm running Knoppix 5.3.1 booted from an 8gb thumbdrive with a persistent image, and here is what the relevant lines of my /etc/fstab look like after editing it to include "noatime":
It really seems to speed up the whole operation, and cuts down on unnecessary timestamp-writes to files that are read-only! I guess you don't want to use noatime if you need forensic timestamp security. I just hope I'm not just too tired and fooling myself since I have no way to measure the performance.Code:# Added by KNOPPIX /dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix,noatime 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/sdc2 /media/sdc2 ext2 noauto,users,exec,noatime 0 0

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
$75.00
Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00
Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$36.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99
Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver
$79.89