-
Junior Member
registered user
Speed up thumbdrives with noatime parameter in /etc/fstab
I don't know why i didn't check for this earlier - normally I use the "noatime" parameter in my /etc/fstab, and I got re-introduced to it with my Asus eeepc laptop with solid-state disks. Well, it's good for thumb-drives too.
I'm running Knoppix 5.3.1 booted from an 8gb thumbdrive with a persistent image, and here is what the relevant lines of my /etc/fstab look like after editing it to include "noatime":
Code:
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix,noatime 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sdc2 /media/sdc2 ext2 noauto,users,exec,noatime 0 0
It really seems to speed up the whole operation, and cuts down on unnecessary timestamp-writes to files that are read-only! I guess you don't want to use noatime if you need forensic timestamp security. I just hope I'm not just too tired and fooling myself since I have no way to measure the performance.
Similar Threads
-
By play1962 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-09-2006, 06:14 PM
-
By dl5raz in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-04-2005, 08:51 AM
-
By cheetahman in forum General Support
Replies: 19
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
-
By Jameson in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 03:38 AM
-
By migasf in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell PowerEdge T430 8 x 3.5 Hot Plug 2X E5-2680 V3 Twelve Core 2.5Ghz 192GB 3X 2
$949.99

HP Z4 G4 Workstation Gaming PC Xeon W2145 16GB 256SSD Quadro M4000 Win11P *READ
$249.00

Dell Precision Tower 5810 Xeon E5-1630 v3 3.7GHz NO RAM RAM 500GB HDD PARTS
$120.00

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00