Hello people!
I've just followed the advice of Josh Krellan based on his notes in Wiki (and originally posted at http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25402). And I must say he gave very good details on how to format a USB flash drive into a bootable Linux drive.
I downloaded the Knoppix v5.1 and, following Josh's advice, put it into an 8GB thumb drive and it works. I'm able to boot from it.
However, there is one problem...when all is done and Knoppix booted from the thumb drive, I am not able to do the next obvious thing -- which is to make the USB drive writeable. I followed his example commands: -
mount -o remount, rw /cdrom
mount --bind /cdrom /media/sda4
After having done this, I then opened the syslinux.cfg file using the command: -
vi /media/sda4/syslinux.cfg
But to my dismay, I discovered the file is still in Readonly mode, and I'm not able to change a few lines (as per Josh's recommendations) to modify the Knoppix boot menu.
So, this means that I'm still not able to make the USB thumb drive writeable using the mount commands. Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
Thank you very much.

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00
Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00
Vintage Edmark TouchWindow for Macintosh DeskTop Computer Touch Window Never Usd
$63.99
Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces
$40.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00
Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck
$99.99
185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$99.00
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh Keyboard M0115
$120.00