-
Already created USB drive of Knoppix, but ...
Hello people!
I've just followed the advice of Josh Krellan based on his notes in Wiki (and originally posted at http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25402). And I must say he gave very good details on how to format a USB flash drive into a bootable Linux drive.
I downloaded the Knoppix v5.1 and, following Josh's advice, put it into an 8GB thumb drive and it works. I'm able to boot from it.
However, there is one problem...when all is done and Knoppix booted from the thumb drive, I am not able to do the next obvious thing -- which is to make the USB drive writeable. I followed his example commands: -
mount -o remount, rw /cdrom
mount --bind /cdrom /media/sda4
After having done this, I then opened the syslinux.cfg file using the command: -
vi /media/sda4/syslinux.cfg
But to my dismay, I discovered the file is still in Readonly mode, and I'm not able to change a few lines (as per Josh's recommendations) to modify the Knoppix boot menu.
So, this means that I'm still not able to make the USB thumb drive writeable using the mount commands. Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
Thank you very much.
Similar Threads
-
By fergus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-13-2007, 09:30 AM
-
By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-28-2006, 01:39 PM
-
By tmedina in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-20-2005, 05:39 AM
-
By bighero in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 11:44 AM
-
By lgriske in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

acer swift air 14
$600.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base
$170.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00