Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: /etc/fstab doesn't mount harddrive automatically AFTER boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2

    /etc/fstab doesn't mount harddrive automatically AFTER boot

    Hi,

    I searched the forum for related entries and couldn't find any, so I apologize if I missed something obvious.

    I'm a new Knoppix user and Linux administrator even though I'm a fairly competent user. My setup is: I boot Knoppix off a USB memory stick and load a persistent configuration (knoppix.sh, configs.tbz, etc.) from a harddrive.

    The funny problem is, after boot when I log on as "knoppix", the hard drive is not mounted even though the knoppix.sh, configs.tbz configuration I have on the hard drive are clearly loaded successfully. The relevant lines from syslinux.cfg are:
    DEFAULT linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce highres=off loglevel=0 libata.atapi_enabled=1 quiet SELINUX_INIT=NO nmi_watchdog=0 BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix myconfig=scan noswap noeject dma

    After I log on and changed to the superuser, a "mount" shows:
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    /dev/sdb1 on /cdrom type vfat (ro,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset =iso8859-1,shortname=winnt)
    /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
    /ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw)
    /UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type aufs (rw,xino=/ramdisk/.aufs.xino,br:/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=rr)
    /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    /dev/pts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
    but not the "/dev/sda4 on /media/sda4" I am expecting.

    So far, I have been manually mounting /dev/sda4 after logging on.

    I tried adding an entry to knoppix.sh (on the harddrive) and in /etc/skel/.bashrc: "sudo mount /dev/sda4 /media/sda4" but that didn't work.
    Next attempt: In /etc/fstab: "/dev/sda4 /media/sda4 ext3 auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0" but that didn't work either.
    Am a bit bemused because clearly the harddrive was mounted and accessed during boot but somehow it was unmounted?

    Since then, I've googled many times without success before deciding to consult the gurus on this forum. What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance for the replies!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    You may be able to add your mount commands to /etc/init.d/boot.local
    however, I think what is happening is that when syslinux.cfg loads the BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    you have the equivalent of a live cd image.
    If I can think of anything else to try I'll post back to the forum.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.
    I tried adding the mount commands to /etc/init.d/boot.local but that didn't work.
    There is probably something in the boot process that I don't understand, because looking at the output of "dmesg":
    "
    ...
    EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    EXT3 FS on sda4, internal journal
    EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
    "
    appears at the end, indicating that my harddrive which is identified as /dev/sda4 is mounted.

    Yet afterwards somehow it got unmounted. I'm not sure what the implications of a live CD image are, but it sounds like I cannot edit whatever's mounted by that live CD image?
    Tons of people out there must be mounting harddrives after booting up from a live CD, without making persistent images on their harddrives, I think.

    Anyway, thanks, will keep going at it.

Similar Threads

  1. Setting up fstab manually vs. automatically
    By Fourthbean in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 01:29 AM
  2. Cannot mount harddrive
    By fnofftbl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 11:30 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 11:07 AM
  4. Mount Hard Drive automatically with Live-CD
    By s-m-n in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 07:44 PM
  5. Mount all partitions automatically
    By muczy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$693.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99