-
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill idle task!
I installed Knoppix Version 5.1.1 from a donloaded CD image to a 2Gb Compact Flash card using the
instructions in O'Reilly book:
KNOPPIX HACKS 2nd Edition, Page: 367
(Knoppix boots OK from the CD on my Dell machine)
I then installed the card in a PC/104 single board computer from Tri-M, Inc. Its called a VSX104 and has the Vortex86SX "System on Chip (SoC)" chip on it (it has an AMI BIOS on it). It starts booting OK but then gets hung. Here is some of the output:
Uncompressing Linux...OK, booting the kernel
invalid opcode: 0000 [#1]
PREEMPT SMP
modules linked in:
.
.
.
Call Trace:
[<hex number1>] dpul+0x1a/0x134
[< " 2>] cpuset_add_file+0x4a/0x5c
[< " 3>] start_kernel+0x38d/0x400
[< " 4>] unknown_bootpotion+0x0/0x25c
=====================
Code: < lots of hex byte codes.....
...>
.
.
.
EIP:[< " 5>] identify_cpu+0x86/0x3ec SS:ESP 0066:c04a1fa0
<0> Kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill the idle task!
[hangs here]
Any ideas on what is happening?...
Thanks for any suggestions...
-
Senior Member
registered user
If your single board computer has a cdrom or access to a usb cdrom try booting the knoppix cd that way.
You need to make sure that knoppix recognises and works with all hardware on your single board computer
before trying it on flash card.
The other test of course is to make sure that your single board computer can boot ok from flash card.
One way to do this is start with a minimal distro like puupy linux.
Hope that helps
-
Thanks for the reply...Here's what I've learned so far...
The single board computer (SBC) I am using (Tri-M, Inc. VSX104) has a Vortex86SX System-on-Chip (SoC) on it that contains an AMIBIOS. Through many re-tries I discovered that I needed to do a USB-ZIP installation of Damn Small Linux (DSL) to satisfy the (old?) BIOS. The current DSL (version 4.4.3 has dropped USB-ZIP support, so I used the CD that comes with the "The Official Damn Small Liniux" book (version 3.3.?). When I tried to install DSL from that to my Compact Flash card from my Dell Dimension machine, DSL complained that it couldn't read the partition table on sda. So I tried from my Dell Inspiron laptop and that worked. I was able to install DSL on the Compact Flash card.
I installed the card in my Tri-M, Inc. SBC and it booted -- to a point! But it got to a point where Linux was looking for a math co-processor, couldn't find one and hung! Humm...I should have anticipated that!...
So that's where I am at at the moment. Looks like I need to find a version of Linux that doesn't need a math coprocessor -- or a PC/104 co-processor card to add to my SBC. Maybe the puupy Linux distribution you suggested will to the trick. I only need a very minimal version that will run a program that can access /dev/ttyS0.
Thanks for your reply...I will keep working the problem. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
Similar Threads
-
By pegasus in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-31-2008, 05:02 PM
-
By generiq in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-10-2006, 10:57 PM
-
By satimis in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-03-2005, 03:13 AM
-
By voldemort_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 06:16 PM
-
By Thundjar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD
$84.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99